What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant Decide!

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for a post with "little substance" but here it goes anyway. I have a iPad 2 right now and really cant decide if I want the 4 yet or not. I use my iPad literally everyday but my uses of it at that intense so to speak. I use it to browse the web, facebook, Skype, weather and other informative apps, a couple of games (nothing too intense though) and I read with iBooks.

I dont think im maxing out my 2 as it is so the extra performance of the 4 might not really be too noticeable. Obviously things will open and load faster and some games might be smoother, and perhaps I can get some cool apps to take advantage of the speed. The retina screem might be the biggest factor as I do read on it and text being sharper would be nice.

So, im sure people are in a similar boat (as I follow the wait for every other to upgrade rule) and might provide some insight. Thanks.

Tom

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
do you want to run something on your iPad that wont run on the 2?

I had the iPad 1, and I kept it until it would not take the latest iOS (v6). That was my catalyst. I dont generally upgrade until I can not update my current hardware. This goes for laptops as well. Personally, if you can still use your current iPad to its fullest potential and it is not giving you problems, I see no reason at all to upgrade.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a 2 and used it for just about the same things you stated. I sold it thinking I could get away with just using a Kindle and save some money. Yup, big mistake!
Anyways, the 3 was about 5 months into the market and I figured why not get the 3 this time? I still had all my old accessories and case and the 3 uses the same case as does the 2(and 4 mind you, but with lightning connector on the bottom).
I could tell right away the screen was much clearer. And the rear camera is actually usable now, so I even use it to video things and post auction pics or FB updates. And the 3 can get the newest OS with Siri and will be able to get newer apps longer(something we run into issue wise for one of my kid's iPod touch, since most apps now require 5.0 and his has 4.2 and he can't go past that OS).
So Angry Birds, out of luck.
Where's My Water, no dice.
Obviously this causes a problem!

Now, is the 2 THAT outdated? No. It is still a huge leap forward from the original iPad. And the 2 I had was just as fast as the 3 I have now as far as page loads and app starts. I'd still be happy with my 2 if I hadn't sold it(stupidly) in the first place. The screen is nice on the 3(and 4, same screen) and I use the camera. I wouldn't want a 4 because of the connector, we have too many other devices that use the 30 pin.
I like my 3. BUT I would rather have my 2 and the extra $500 difference the "upgrade" cost me. I can't see going from 2-4 being a ton different.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And from the other side: the retina screen is amazing, so crisp and clear! I went from the iPad1 to the iPad3 and the difference, to me, is night and day.

The specs are not enough to make me move from the iPad3 to the iPad4, but the screen is the same.

So, there you go. Get the new retina display one! :D

Marilyn

OP
Twism86

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
And from the other side: the retina screen is amazing, so crisp and clear! I went from the iPad1 to the iPad3 and the difference, to me, is night and day.

The specs are not enough to make me move from the iPad3 to the iPad4, but the screen is the same.

So, there you go. Get the new retina display one! :D

Marilyn

Thanks. Yea for reading it might really be nice. I manage my own forum so i spend plenty of time looking at text.....

Still on the fence, might go to Apple today and check it out (which will be my downfall).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go see the newer devices. If you then don't feel compelled to upgrade, don't!

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My opinion.....

Get the iPad 4............upgrading from the iPad 2 is worth it with many improvements, the most of all the retina display.
Upgrading from the iPad 3 is not.

throwback8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly it's completely a personal choice as to whether you think upgrading is the right choice. I will tell you though, the iPad 4 is ridiculously fast, and honestly after being spoiled by retina I can't go back to a non retina apple device. I picked up the great mini on Nov 2nd and ended up upgrading to the 4 2 days later because my eyes didn't appreciate the switching from my retina i5 to the mini. It really is noticeable and the experience of using a retina display is brilliant and I can't imagine not having one now. Apps load incredibly fast on my iPad 4 and taxing games(Nova 3) play incredible smooth at high fps. While I will concur this is a matter of opinion, I think you would be incredibly happy with the monumental leap it would be to the iPad 4. Good luck in whatever you decide.

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Friday i replaced my iPad 2 wifi with an iPad 3 LTE and the difference is HUGE. For me the key factors were the screen and the amount of ram, 512 to 1 gig. I didnt want a 4 because Ive got a ton of 30 pin accessories for my iPad and 4s. If money isnt going to be a deciding factor then absolutely upgrade. My eyes after reading a few hours of ibooks on the 2 would get tired and blurry but on the 3 I have no issues reading hours on end.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It does have a better front camera too, right? VGA v 1.2MP I believe. So will I look better to people I Skype with?

Yes, the latest two iPads, iPad 4 and mini, both have HD front cameras, so they can capture 720p video. You still need good light, but it should be improved. I say should because I never Facetime or Skype with image.

OP
Twism86

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Well I picked up my 4 last night and the 2 is already on craigslist! For me, the huge retina screen was worth it. Now I will try and take advantage of the faster processor with some cool apps. I stuck with white. Only regret... I have too much music, my 32GB had 2 GB available now and its brand new...

I will say, the mini is sweeeet! Almost got one of the those instead and kept the 2!

Most reactions

Latest posts