What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot send email from iPad when using wifi

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm unable to send email from my iPad when I'm on wifi. The error message says the connection to the outgoing (server server name)failed. I have to first activate cellular data, which I sometimes don't want to do, then deactivate cell data when I'm finished.

What must I do so I can send email when on wifi?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm unable to send email from my iPad when I'm on wifi. The error message says the connection to the outgoing (server server name)failed. I have to first activate cellular data, which I sometimes don't want to do, then deactivate cell data when I'm finished.

Did you check the wifi connection? (Try to access a website with Safari)
Perhaps you'll have to look at your smtp-Settings.
Or you could try to restart your device.

If nothing helps, perhaps it would be better to delete the email account on your iPad and set it up again.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hi MoneyGuy. Try this, it has often worked in similar situations:
Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars. Under "Accounts" delete the account and re-enter the required ISPs mail account settings.
And of course the "Mail" slider should be showing as "On". Restart your iPad. Let's know how you got on.:)

EDIT: J.A. beat me by seconds ... All those suggestions are also good to go:)
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Are you, by any chance, using a POP mail account AND are not at your home when trying to send the e-mail? For a POP mail account, your mail goes through the ISP server. If the server sees that you are not sending from your home, it will reject the mail packet. It's an authentication and security "feature" for the ISP.

Time Warner/Roadrunner does this - you canNOT send e-mails from the Time Warner account if your not on your home server. And, Time Warner only has POP mail; it cannot be changed to IMAP or Exchange. You can receive e-mail fine - just can't send it while away from home.

I work around this by using a Gmail account as my default (it's my "send from" address). So, I can send from anywhere via WiFi. Yeah, it's annoying (not to mention having different reply e-mails), but its the only workaround. However, once the IMAP/Exchange account is set as your default, you don't have to worry about it again.

Just a thought. If you don't have a POP email account ... never mind and, I don't know why you can't send mail. Sorry. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions