What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you rename pdf files saved in ibooks?

Alan Wilson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saved a PDF in iBooks and it was labeled 'document 2' and not the name of the publication. Someone suggested that I download good reader app bc it is better than iBooks. Any thoughts about either question.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader is great app. It is not, however, a better reader than iBooks. Though it is perfectly adequate for pdf reading. And you can rename your files in it.

To change the name of the book in iBooks you need to do it in iTunes on the Computer. Find the file in iTunes on the computer. Right click on the file and choose Get Info. In the Info tab of the window that pops up change the Name.

Sync your iPad.

This method hasn't worked for everyone. I have no idea why. It's always worked for me.

OP
A

Alan Wilson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. One more question. Can I switch iTunes to a different computer? My current computer is about to die and I don't want to loose music apps PDFs etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I typed a long post, and just deleted it. It's just too hard to cover all the possibilities off the top of my head. I'm even considering backtracking to an earlier post I made on the same subject and revising it. There are just too many things that I can't predict. I don't feel comfortable recommending the methods I use, because they depend on understanding why you are doing the things you are doing.

There are several third party programs that will transfer your library from one computer to another. I wish I could recommend one, but I've never use any of them. A couple of other forum members have made recommendations, but again, I can't remember what they said.

Maybe one will chime in.

In the mean time try using the forum search, or Google 'Move iTunes to a new computer'. I saw several options. I'd also Google for reviews on them before committing.

Carol3317

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a way to name your ibook PDF files as you wish. First save them in documents to go , rename them there and then save them in Ibook.

nageswar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Install the free app 'PDF Renamer'. Though it is a work around you don't have to go back to your computer to do it. It works... :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is great app. It is not, however, a better reader than iBooks. Though it is perfectly adequate for pdf reading. And you can rename your files in it.

To change the name of the book in iBooks you need to do it in iTunes on the Computer. Find the file in iTunes on the computer. Right click on the file and choose Get Info. In the Info tab of the window that pops up change the Name.

Sync your iPad.

This method hasn't worked for everyone. I have no idea why. It's always worked for me.

Yep - you are correct - it didn't work for me.

I now have a PDF named one thing in iTunes and differently on the iPad. What on earth is the problem here.. this really isn't rocket science :-(

Why oh why can I just not rename it on the iPad - is there some major technical problem that I'm missing?

RzB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep - you are correct - it didn't work for me.

I now have a PDF named one thing in iTunes and differently on the iPad. What on earth is the problem here.. this really isn't rocket science :-(

Why oh why can I just not rename it on the iPad - is there some major technical problem that I'm missing?

RzB

I don't know when it changed, or if we just missed it the first time around, but it is possible to rename a PDF in iBooks on the iPad. I think it will work in iOS 5. I know it works in iOS 6.

First, view the bookshelf with the PDF in it using the list mode. You switch between shelf and list mode by tapping the two icons at the top right, just to the left of the Edit button. The four squares are shelf mode. The three lines are list mode.

Once in List mode, tap the Edit button.

Any book title that shows up as blue can be edited. Just tap on the title to get the cursor. From that point on most of the editing gestures work; tap and hold for magnifier, popup menu, double tap a word to select it, so on.

Tap the blue Done button at the top right when done.

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet,

Thanks for your help!

I was in an Apple store last week - they told me it wasn't possible!

RzB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet,

Thanks for your help!

I was in an Apple store last week - they told me it wasn't possible!

RzB

Until about a month ago, when another member pointed it out, I thought it was impossible. Like I said, no idea when this changed.

Most reactions

Latest posts