What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you make a given spreadsheet or powerpoint a lauchable icon from home screen?

LonghornGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a gen 1 ipad user, but have a friend in sales that just got the ipad 3. He asked me if the is a way or an app that would let you create a lauchable icon for a given spreadsheet or powerpoint directly from the home screen. It would make it easier to pull up info on a given product. Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a way, but only if you want to just view the file from this launch and you have the [free] app Dropbox (with a corresponding account). Dropbox is online storage and if you wish to edit the file, instead of only viewing it, you'll have to open it with an app for editing.

With those qualifiers out of the way, here's what I do (I'm going to assume you have Dropbox, whether already or have gotten it because of this):

1) Using your computer (or whatever method you choose), put the file you want in the Public folder of Dropbox

2) Open the Dropbox app and go to that file in the Public folder

3) In landscape, press the file you wish to use. A preview pane will open on the right. At the upper right is an icon that kind of looks like a paper clip. Press it and you'll be offered two choices...pick the one that copies the link to the clipboard

4) Exit the Dropbox app, open Safari and paste that link in the URL address bar (press Go). Your file will open

5) Then, make a home screen bookmark. In case you haven't done it before:

6) In Safari, press the curvy arrow to the left of that URL address bar. Select "Add to Homescreen" (title the bookmark however you wish).

7) Safari will create a bookmark on your iPad's screen and you can press it like any other app to go to that file.

Hope this'll help. Holler back if you have any questions or issues. Or, let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts