What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you create templates in Pages

Archer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Can you create templates in Pages, just I use certain formating in some documents I have to use and it would be great to create the layout once and save it as a template.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no way of directly creating a new template for Pages, so that it is suggested when you create a new document.

There are two workarounds that Members have suggested.

The first is to create a document that is a template and keep it in the My Documents area. When you need to use that 'template' highlight it, but don't select it, choose the '+' button and then choose 'Duplicate'

The second option, which is more-or-less the same as the first, is that, if you use MobileMe, you can keep a store of 'templates' in MobileMe and then import them as-and-when needed.

None of these is truly satisfactory but they're probably the best we're going to get.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A third option.

If you send the document to iTunes you can copy it from iTunes it as many times as you want for a new copy. As long as you do not go into iTunes and remove it from the File Sharing list for Pages, it will stay their indefinitely.

As an extra precaution, you can go to the File Sharing section and make a copy (without removing the file). That will give you a backup on the computer that you can use if the file goes missing.

While MobileMe is the more versatile solution, this one does not require you to have an internet connection, and keeps your document area separated from your pseudo-templates.

Last edited:

Rjd137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.christmasonmanhattan.com
Morning everyone. I'm a newbie and I need to make a template. what program can i use to make a template and whats the right way to make it...on my ipad or on my desktop.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As we mentioned above, there's no real way to make templates for the iPad and add them to Pages. But the workarounds above are OK, if you take them for what they are - workarounds. I'd have made my 'template' on the iPad because, if you're going to use the iPad to produce the final document, then you won't end up with any formatting incompatibilities.

Tim

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As we mentioned above, there's no real way to make templates for the iPad and add them to Pages. But the workarounds above are OK, if you take them for what they are - workarounds. I'd have made my 'template' on the iPad because, if you're going to use the iPad to produce the final document, then you won't end up with any formatting incompatibilities.

Tim

I have been looking for a simple way to create legitimate Pages templates, but I am forced to agree, there is no easy way to do it. I do not generally like the idea of using a Pages document as a template, however. It is forced upon me, so I must.

Now it has become a quest.

I really want a way to create a template that shows up as a template among Apple's templates. Even the templates sold on iTunes are not really templates.

The issue is the file format and the large numbers of files and folders for every Pages template. Even the simplest of documents requires a number of folders and files.

Discouraged, but not giving up. Yet.

What will be required is a way to open up each component of each template and find a way to edit and save. Also, one needs to know what is required and what can be omitted. File folder structure is also apparently important. What folders are needed and why. Some are not required because they are (apparently) localization files for other languages, but for all I know, they are still required or Pages might assume there is a file corruption issue because it can’t find something it expects to find.

If I can figure out how it works, I can copy my files to the Pages directory, thank you Greenpois0n. That said, apparently, there is a file that lists all Pages Templates and apparently (uncomfirmed0 your template files must be listed.

Or I could be incorrect.

Certainly not like a Word Template Vs. a Word document. Much easier to deal with.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi

Can you create templates in Pages, just I use certain formating in some documents I have to use and it would be great to create the layout once and save it as a template.

Most users seem to think a reused Pages document is the same thing as a template. Believe me, I have tried to find a way, but so far, no good.

Most reactions

Latest posts