What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we paint our car if we don't own it?

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. It isn't a lease. I still have two years to pay on it. So....How would they know exactly? If I did paint it? For all they know I already did 2 years ago.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm....but then if I ever get pulled over....which does happened from time to time ( no comments ) My reg would not match the color.

Could have bad written all over it.

Damn.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're making payments, then it is your car to do what you want with. (The bank only gets interested if you miss a payment or two. :) )

Decent paint jobs aren't cheap... You can easily pay a couple of thousand dollars. There's a lot of labor involved. they have to sand down the existing paint so it isn't shiny. If they don't, the new paint won't stick properly. (If the car isn't prepped right, the new paint can start peeling). Then they have to use paper and masking tape to cover off the wheels, windshield, head lights tail lights and other areas they don't want to get paint on.

As far as legal requirements when changing the color.... It varies state by state, country by country.. Once you paint it, call up your local DMV and ask them what you need to do. They may want you to fill out a form, or they may not care.. I'd call them just to be safe.

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
If you're making payments, then it is your car to do what you want with. (The bank only gets interested if you miss a payment or two. :) )

Decent paint jobs aren't cheap... You can easily pay a couple of thousand dollars. There's a lot of labor involved. they have to sand down the existing paint so it isn't shiny. If they don't, the new paint won't stick properly. (If the car isn't prepped right, the new paint can start peeling). Then they have to use paper and masking tape to cover off the wheels, windshield, head lights tail lights and other areas they don't want to get hpaint on.

As far as legal requirements when changing the color.... It varies state by state, country by country.. Once you paint it, call up your local DMV and ask them what you need to do. They may want you to fill out a form, or they may not care.. I'd call them just to be safe.

Couple grand for a paint job? Ha ya right for a good one from a good shop try more like 4 or 5 grand.

Sent from my sexy black iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts