What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can We Have Cursor Keys Please!

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The magnifying glass for precision cursor placement just doesn't quite work for me, and I believe this is the case for many others. It seems to have some "smarts" to avoid the precise location that I want:).

It would be so much easier, at times, if cursor keys were available to move the cursor to the precise location required.

The same goes for text selection, if you could just select a start point, press ctrl (which doesn't exist at moment), cursor to the end and press ctrl again to complete the selection, some text selection tasks would be much easier (I think).

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd love to be able to determine which #%* keys get to be on the second level.

I use twitter a lot and # is on the third level and it is a pain. If I could switch keys with one of my lesser used keys on the second level it would be GREAT!!!

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd love to be able to determine which #%* keys get to be on the second level.

I use twitter a lot and # is on the third level and it is a pain. If I could switch keys with one of my lesser used keys on the second level it would be GREAT!!!

Someone else pointed out that there is a bar along the top of the keyboard that currently has just the Previous, Next and Autofill buttons. There's plenty of room for cursor, ctrl buttons etc.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
The magnifying glass for precision cursor placement just doesn't quite work for me, and I believe this is the case for many others. It seems to have some "smarts" to avoid the precise location that I want:).

It would be so much easier, at times, if cursor keys were available to move the cursor to the precise location required.

The same goes for text selection, if you could just select a start point, press ctrl (which doesn't exist at moment), cursor to the end and press ctrl again to complete the selection, some text selection tasks would be much easier (I think).

You can do that and more with the ZAGGmate keyboard if you don't mind the extra hardware.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can do that and more with the ZAGGmate keyboard if you don't mind the extra hardware.

I have considered hardware keyboards but that would mean no longer using the iPad as a handheld device, one of the fundamental features of tablet computing.

Does anyone know if there third party virtual keyboards?

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not ones very worthwhile. Some "radial" keyboard I saw in the Store the other day, but was unimpressed. On a side note, some apps have built the cursor as part of the app. It's added to top right of the regular keyboard. Notability is a notetaking app I've taken to, and when using the virtual keyboard, it has these cursor keys, and I agree - this should be on the default keyboard!!

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cursor keys would be useful, especially for word docs

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On a side note, some apps have built the cursor as part of the app. It's added to top right of the regular keyboard. Notability is a notetaking app I've taken to, and when using the virtual keyboard, it has these cursor keys, and I agree - this should be on the default keyboard!!

I noticed this too just after starting this thread.

I have also noticed that there is an option in Settings to select different keyboards but there is only one choice. I am not aware of any third party keyboards however.

Last edited:

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually need to correct my previous statement. Notability doesn't have cursor keys, actually I was thinking of Awesome Note.

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also would like cursor keys if possible. One temporary solution that I have found is the Zaggmate keyboard. It has cursor keys. I know it's not the beast solution but it's better than the magnifying glass.

I thing I would like even above the cursor keys is a "Back" button. I don't like it when I'm dump into a web page that doesn't let you go back and so you have to exit and find the app you were in.

Most reactions