What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we ever expect shared file system in iOS?

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new Apple product user (particularly - iPad) and I was literally shocked then realized how limited my devise is comparing to Symbian, Windows Mobile or Android.

Each application in iPad can save files in it's own area and other application can't access that area.

I read some articles and I agree with such approach (if you want something more, buy a MacBook or get the hell out of here (meaning - buy an Android)).

BACK TO THE TOPIC:

Can we expect a shared file system? By that I mean: you can save files there, create folders, move files around. And you can access that with any application and have full control of it.

Or in other words - SD card support is a super example of that. Put any files you want in it and access that SD card and files in it with any application.

If Apple doesn't want to support SD cards - it's OK. But make a shared file system in internal memory. Make it accessible only through iTunes. I don't care. Just let the applications in iOS use the content in that file system.

Has anybody asked that Apple? What was Apple's response?

My almost 10 years Windows Mobile phone is better in that sense than iOS.

What is the reason there's no file system in iOS?

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BTW..
Maybe it's only me and you have never used other devices and only Apple and you have no clue what I'm talking about? :)

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new Apple product user (particularly - iPad) and I was literally shocked then realized how limited my devise is comparing to Symbian, Windows Mobile or Android.

Each application in iPad can save files in it's own area and other application can't access that area.

I read some articles and I agree with such approach (if you want something more, buy a MacBook or get the hell out of here (meaning - buy an Android)).

BACK TO THE TOPIC:

Can we expect a shared file system? By that I mean: you can save files there, create folders, move files around. And you can access that with any application and have full control of it.

Or in other words - SD card support is a super example of that. Put any files you want in it and access that SD card and files in it with any application.

If Apple doesn't want to support SD cards - it's OK. But make a shared file system in internal memory. Make it accessible only through iTunes. I don't care. Just let the applications in iOS use the content in that file system.

Has anybody asked that Apple? What was Apple's response?

My almost 10 years Windows Mobile phone is better in that sense than iOS.

What is the reason there's no file system in iOS?

I don't think you'll see that in an iPad. At least not how you describe it. Everything has to go through iTunes.

There was an app available that would allow you to download files from your computer called Zumo Cast or Zuma Cast. Right now that app is on hold, and to be honest I don't know if it worked for PC's. I have an iMac.

Maybe jailbreak it and you can do some of those things. I'm happy with mine the way it is so it's not an issue for me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS 5 is moving in the direction of cloud storage for most content. That is probably as close as the iPad will get to a shared file system. If app developers jump on the iCloud bandwagon, it could be very versatile. Of course, it will be somewhat inconvenient for those who spend a lot of time without a good internet connection.

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 5 is moving in the direction of cloud storage for most content. That is probably as close as the iPad will get to a shared file system. If app developers jump on the iCloud bandwagon, it could be very versatile. Of course, it will be somewhat inconvenient for those who spend a lot of time without a good internet connection.

You're right. iCould is something which could solve the problem (if iCloud file system would be accessible to all apps and all apps could open ANY files from ANY iCloud folders and save ANYWHERE in the iCloud).

Unless Apple will make limitations even in the iCloud (Apple is Apple). I bet they will screw iCloud as well. They're good at this. I won't be surprised if each application will have a limited area to save files in the iCloud accessible only by that application and data sharing between apps will be be by "open with".. function from the app.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would love to see an 'app storage share' that all apps can access but is off limits to the OS. This would let you load up all your content such as docs, movies etc. and be able to access them using any registered apps. You can currently share content between registered apps using the 'open in' feature so I don't think this is against the IOS ethos and because it is off limits to the OS, would pose no security threat. Apps like GoodReader or FileBrowser can already effectively upload and store any type of file in their app space so seeing this space as shared seems like a good compromise to me and hopefully the next logical step.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's why while i love my iPad I am keeping my eyes open for other devices. I am looking in the foreseeable future for a windows 8 tablet. If MS can make a slim version of windows I will be happy to make a switch. Amazon is also coming up with a tablet.

T

TJK

One word: DropBox.

The only time I connect to iTunes is to upgrade to the latest version of iOS or install a provisioning app and it looks like iOS 5 is making that necessity go away.

I love using DropBox so that I have access to the same files on all my devices and that it is always the latest version. I have high hopes for iCloud since all of our family computers and mobile devices are Apple.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would really be nice if Apple would create a Finder app which contains only the "home" folder (excluding the Library folder) and so that each document can be open by any app.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How will dropbox help me when i have no Internet connection? I'm currently on an island and sometimes I don't have acess to the Internet for a week. How about if I need to share files that are sensitive? Dropbox TOS doesn't protect client-lawer privileges.

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was my fear about dropbox too. I'm a little more ok proprietary work than with privledged documents - DB makes no claims on the IP...but they won't protect your privacy. Unfortunately, so far its the best file system substitute I have found.

The was also an app called Air Sharing that I used on iPhone but haven't tried to put on iPad. It was a bit buggy and not super user friendly but you could mount iPhone as a remote drive on the laptop and add files to it. It supports a variety of protocols (like regular http, ftp. WebDAV, bonjour etc.) and services and has native printing and integration with Doc 2 Go...but of course it didn't support every app I used adding certain extra steps and required both laptop and iPhone to be on the same networkp for transfers (which obviously any file system sharing app will unless its totally in the cloud like DropBox.) Its does have playlist integration if you want to pop onto the laptop and transfer one audio file without syncing. But the connection to the mounted device can be tempremental..negating any benefit of bypassing syncing.

Still - for all its faults...its a worthy app to check out...even unoptimized...because it came pretty darn close to giving me an internal shared filing system on iOS. Worth it for the $6 I paid. It does have a HD version but I can only speak to the non HD version personally http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-sharing-hd/id365541415?mt=8#

IMO this is iOS' biggest limitation. Apparently...there just isn't an app for that. Makes the device cumbersome for me to use and I just don't get not "allowing" so to speak native filesystems. ::headscratch::

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!

PDB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best compromise I have come across so far is the combined use of Dropbox and Goodreader. Goodreader can be set to syncronise with dropbox, replicating the file structure, so that every time you tell it it to sync with Dropbox it will upload and download recent files. This means you can use Goodreader as a Local file management system, albeit with its caveats, and Dropbox as a multi-device sharing system. Dropbox is a godsend to get work documents (there is no way IT is going to let me install itunes on my work pc) onto the Ipad.
The only real nuisance is that if you are going to EDIT any document on the Ipad, you have to manually send it back to the appropiate folder in Goodreader. It feels like going back 15 years in computing, but it can be done: you just need to establish a process and remember to stick by it every time.
By the way, does anyone know if you can actually select whcih folders you want synced between Dropbox and Goodreader?
Anyway, I hope this may be helpful.

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
PDB said:
The best compromise I have come across so far is the combined use of Dropbox and Goodreader. Goodreader can be set to syncronise with dropbox, replicating the file structure, so that every time you tell it it to sync with Dropbox it will upload and download recent files. This means you can use Goodreader as a Local file management system, albeit with its caveats, and Dropbox as a multi-device sharing system. Dropbox is a godsend to get work documents (there is no way IT is going to let me install itunes on my work pc) onto the Ipad.
The only real nuisance is that if you are going to EDIT any document on the Ipad, you have to manually send it back to the appropiate folder in Goodreader. It feels like going back 15 years in computing, but it can be done: you just need to establish a process and remember to stick by it every time.
By the way, does anyone know if you can actually select whcih folders you want synced between Dropbox and Goodreader?
Anyway, I hope this may be helpful.

Thanks for your post.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use fileapp pro for much of my data transfer needs. In it is a folder structure that can be modifed directly on the iPad or indirectly on my PC. It also appears to give the option to open files via whatever app you have that is compatible. To fully exploit the capability, there is companion software for the PC (not free).

While this is nowhere close to a real "finder" capability, it is a worthwhile supplement to the iTunes approach, and does not rely on the "cloud" for functionality.

Most reactions

Latest posts