What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone recommend a Longer USB power cable for IPad 3 that works

globalmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

I have bought a few longer cables off ebay and so far None work - so I googled why and found out that the ipad 3 takes more power etc and cheaper cables don't work ..

So can someone recommend a Charging cable that does charge the Ipad 3 (fully to 100%) thats longer than the Original 2-3 meters , i don't want to use a longer extention cable, i just want a longer USB cable that I can plug in the OEM charger (powerblock) .
at the moment i have pinched my Macbook pro cable to make it longer but really like that back for my computer and it's a heavy power cable ..

So if anyone has tried and tested any cables that work properly and can recommend one that would be great .
i have seen the Griffen GC17120 advertised ? has anyone tried this on the Ipad 3 ??

Any suggestions or recommendations and links are appriciated
Thanks Mark

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
globalmark said:
Hi all

I have bought a few longer cables off ebay and so far None work - so I googled why and found out that the ipad 3 takes more power etc and cheaper cables don't work ..

So can someone recommend a Charging cable that does charge the Ipad 3 (fully to 100%) thats longer than the Original 2-3 meters , i don't want to use a longer extention cable, i just want a longer USB cable that I can plug in the OEM charger (powerblock) .
at the moment i have pinched my Macbook pro cable to make it longer but really like that back for my computer and it's a heavy power cable ..

So if anyone has tried and tested any cables that work properly and can recommend one that would be great .
i have seen the Griffen GC17120 advertised ? has anyone tried this on the Ipad 3 ??

Any suggestions or recommendations and links are appriciated
Thanks Mark

These work for me:

http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-Extra-C...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336535316&sr=8-1-spell

I hope you meant 3 ft rather than 3 meters.

OP
G

globalmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I actually meant 2 or 3 meters (6-9 ft) as the original must be about 3ft and i wanted something longer , sorry I am actually in Australia so use Meters here (but happy to order from overseas) if they offer international shipping ..
are these cables 3ft ? as link says 6ft ????
3 ft is the same as i have so to short yes .. and do they work with the Ipad 3 up to 100% charge with OEM powerblock as they look the same as the cables i had before that don't work ??
thanks Mark

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
globalmark said:
Hi

I actually meant 2 or 3 meters (6-9 ft) as the original must be about 3ft and i wanted something longer , sorry I am actually in Australia so use Meters here (but happy to order from overseas) if they offer international shipping ..
are these cables 3ft ? as link says 6ft ????
3 ft is the same as i have so to short yes .. and do they work with the Ipad 3 up to 100% charge with OEM powerblock as they look the same as the cables i had before that don't work ??
thanks Mark

The cables are 6ft. I use them every day to charge my iPad 3 to 100% ( I read your original post). I use the apple charger with one and a third party charger with the other. They both work fine. I cannot speak to how they work with your equipment or that they look like some other cable that I have not seen.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ideally you simply want a heavier gauge wire in the cable and quality connectors. Gold plated are the best.

Any quality computer accessory shop will have them. No need to order specific cables.

OP
G

globalmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I will have a good look at those Cable , I have found a 3meter one by Griffin GC 17120 seems a heavier duty one that works ,
and AQ_OC thanks for that info I will certainly take a look at one of those .
thanks again all
Mark

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 to Peter Millard's Griffin recommendation. Mine works well, is heavy duty, and was the longest I could find.

tristis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can plug an old laptop power cord (one with rounded connectors) into the 10W power adapter after you remove the plug prongs. This results in a 10 ft charger. Luckily I had a couple of power cords hanging around. If you don't you can always buy a power cord for under $5. Just check on line or go to your equivalent to Walmart, Radio Shack etc.

mtnguy321

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just use a USB extension cable and it works fine. And, I got a dual charger off of eBay for $5.99 shipped. 2.1 amp for iPad and 1.0 for iPhone.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tristis said:
You can plug an old laptop power cord (one with rounded connectors) into the 10W power adapter after you remove the plug prongs. This results in a 10 ft charger. Luckily I had a couple of power cords hanging around. If you don't you can always buy a power cord for under $5. Just check on line or go to your equivalent to Walmart, Radio Shack etc.

That is a good idea. I have a ton of these lying around and they are inexpensive.

claudel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just recieved, unwrapped and tested a 3 meter Griffin cable.

Quick review.

Sync seems to work fine when I plug into the iMac.

Says "Charging" when I plug into the Apple iPad charger that came with the iPad.

Box instructions specify 10W charger...

I haven't tried much of a recharge yet because it hasn't run down very far.

The dock plug doesn't seem to noticably click into the dock jack, but the plug doesn't seem ready to leap out of the jack or anything, either.

Zaggfolio doesn't interfere with the connection in any way.

All & all, seems like a nice cable. Length matters...

chazmink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used the Griffin and the NewerTech from OWC(macsales.com) with good success. On the other hand, none of the cheap eBay cables charge properly.

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a great one from groupon which is NINE feet and love it!! Works wonderfully. I'll find the info and post

Most reactions

Latest posts