What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone help?

bsibbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new on this forum and I have a problem with my iPad2. My wife sometimes watches missed episodes of NCIS on chanel ten Sydney for free, she has previously watched on my PC with no problem. I purchased an iPad for her birthday and fully expected to be able to do the same as on PC, but it does not work.
There are some programs listed on Chanel Ten guide that play but the NCIS program is not listed when viewed on Safari or Chrome.
I am sure there is a good reason but I cannot find it. Does anyone here know what is the problem, and importantly if there is a way around it?
Thanks in advance
bsibbo

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just looked, 10 do not have NCIS listed on their available series on their catch-up TV page. They probably don't have permission to replay it via their web site. A PVR or set-top box with recording functionality is a good investment when you cannot watch the show live.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For whatever reason much of the TV industry has chosen to license mobile separately from traditional web browsers content. Mostly to see if they can gather additional licensing fees, I suspect. As a result there are often differences in available content between phones/tablets and desktop/laptop computers.

The TV industry is even more fragmented than the Movie industry, and as a result content availability is even less predictable.

davidtxs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For whatever reason much of the TV industry has chosen to license mobile separately from traditional web browsers content. Mostly to see if they can gather additional licensing fees, I suspect. As a result there are often differences in available content between phones/tablets and desktop/laptop computers.

The TV industry is even more fragmented than the Movie industry, and as a result content availability is even less predictable.

I have noticed Hulu has alot that is available on the website but not on mobile. kinda sux I use netflix more than any other service.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have noticed Hulu has alot that is available on the website but not on mobile. kinda sux I use netflix more than any other service.

Hey David...fancy signature you have there. Also, that's real nice what you wrote in there too!

Thank you! :)

Sorry, OP for getting off topic here! ;)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
davidtxs said:

It has to do with different licencing agreements for mobile use as compared to use on such devices as laptop and desktop computers.

OP
B

bsibbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see you are in Brisbane, I am in Sydney, I just took a screen shot of NCIS S10 ep3 on my PC. Perhaps they control the content by location of viewer ??

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bsibbo said:
I see you are in Brisbane, I am in Sydney, I just took a screen shot of NCIS S10 ep3 on my PC. Perhaps they control the content by location of viewer ??

Only if I was outside the country. We get the same episode the same day as you. I can see it on my Mac. I would say only certain shows are formatted for playback via iPad. I get a different list of shows on the iPad compared with my Mac. Something to ask TEN about.

The PC version uses flash player, which the iPad does not have. You could maybe try one of the third party browsers that claim they can play back flash content.

Most reactions