What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Can not get mail' message

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my iPad 2 today, is now showing a message that it can not get mail - incorrect password! In my gmail account. went into settings and re-typed all the correct details, but still get the message. Looked at similar threads where the advice said to un-install the account, then re-install. I don't know how to do this - could some kind person advise me, please? Or is there another way? Many thanks, Pam

Oh, and my gmail still works fine on my laptop.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, my iPad 2 today, is now showing a message that it can not get mail - incorrect password! In my gmail account. went into settings and re-typed all the correct details, but still get the message. Looked at similar threads where the advice said to un-install the account, then re-install. I don't know how to do this - could some kind person advise me, please? Or is there another way? Many thanks, Pam Oh, and my gmail still works fine on my laptop.

To delete your email account. Go to ipad settings/mail, contacts, calendars. Select the account and there you will find the option to "delete account."

image-3903662446.jpg

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I can see that now, thanks, but a message comes up that if I delete the account I'll lose all my contacts etc which I don't want to lose as there are many contacts for my DNA Analysis, which I'm studying. Is this the only way, no alternative?

Also when I clicked on iPad Forums to see any replies, it was showing iTunes with many apps, could not get back to iPad forums without going through Safari.?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I can see that now, thanks, but a message comes up that if I delete the account I'll lose all my contacts etc which I don't want to lose as there are many contacts for my DNA Analysis, which I'm studying. Is this the only way, no alternative?

Also when I clicked on iPad Forums to see any replies, it was showing iTunes with many apps, could not get back to iPad forums without going through Safari.?

My understanding is that your contacts, if it is from your email account would be restored once you re-install your email account.

Also-are you certain that you clicked I onto the iPadForums? You may have accidentally pressed iTunes instead.

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that your contacts, if it is from your email account would be restored once you re-install your email account. Also-are you certain that youclicked I onto the iPadForums? You may have accidentally pressed iTunes instead.
Hi
I am in dire need of help,please I don't know how to reinstall gmiail. How do I attach screen shot of gmail re instll widow. Sorry, ut some of my keys won't function.

No, I was tapping the correct iPad icon. Looking forward to your response , thanks, Pam

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi PamBee - as to Skimonkey's advice and from your response, I'm assuming that you did 'delete' your Gmail email account; if so, then go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars - this will bring up a list of 'default' options including Google - select > Gmail page will appear - enter the information requested, including your password. Then go to the next page (your account will first be verified) - here you will need to enter the Gmail IMAP (or POP) setting for incoming mail AND the SMTP setting for outgoing mail - for IMAP, use imap.gmail.com (or pop.gmail.com for that choice); for SMTP, use smtp.gmail.com - now when you go to this last page these settings may be automatically entered (have not setup a mail account on the iPad for a few years) - BUT, let us know if these instructions help. Dave :)

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

(This is my third attempt to reply to you, the page just suddenly disappears and I'm looking at recipes or something previously viewed!)
Yes, I did the delete thing. Thanks very much for your explicit and easy to follow instructions. Have now re-installed gmail, and it seems to be working OK. (Panic over!)

LeeLai very kindly sent me the app instruction site, which I find a vast amount of info to trawl through ( difficult for me to read a lot, as I'm now vision ompaired)
Would you mind telling me just one thing - how to attach a screenshot to this site?
I notice in Photos some things have changed- the 'Share' tab is missing now, since the upgrade, it was so easy to use. Is there a simp
Ple way to send an image from Photos?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help - ( will probably need more, so please be kind to little old ladies!)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
......Thanks very much for your explicit and easy to follow instructions. Have now re-installed gmail, and it seems to be working OK. (Panic over!)

Would you mind telling me just one thing - how to attach a screenshot to this site?
I notice in Photos some things have changed- the 'Share' tab is missing now, since the upgrade, it was so easy to use. Is there a simp
Ple way to send an image from Photos?

Hi again PamBee - glad that you got your Gmail back up again! :)

Concerning the photo issue, have you been able to take 'screenshots' and save the images to the Photo App? If so then, the 'Share' options should still be present - if not seen, you may want to 'Force Close' the app, and if not effective, then 'Restart' or 'Reset' the device (directions below if not familiar w/ the maneuvers - note that there is a difference between the newest and older versions of the iOS regarding 'Force Close').

But, I've taken a few 'screenshots' that may help - on left, note the 'Select' (red arrow) and all of the 'Share' (along right column) choices - selecting a 'Share' option will bring up the menu shown (blue arrow) - photos can be selected and shared. On the right, the 'Select' option (from the first photo) was chosen and 2 images selected (blue arrows); then the 'outgoing' icon pressed (red arrow) which brings up a large dialog box which includes an email option - hope this helps.

P.S. I'm doing this post on my MBPro laptop - emailed the pics from my iPad to myself, then saved and added then here - so steps may be different for you - let us know - Dave :)

photo 1.PNG photo 2.PNG

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Once again, many thanks! Yes, I have many 'screenshots' in my Images, have yet to figure out how to sort them into relevant albums, also how to add a name to some.

I regularly use screenshots on my laptop, too. Find it very handy for all sorts of documents, DNA result pages etc.

Dave, with the aid of your excellent graphic descriptions, I am now able to recognise where the little 'send to' box with arrow, (top left) is, albeit almost invisible to me being such a pale colour. Is there an 'attach file' icon to use when posting on this site? Otherwise, does one have to type in the whole link to attach an image?

OK, your 3 steps above 'When an app' etc, I understand now.
Enough for now, thanks again for your great help!
Pam in Oz

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Once again, many thanks! Yes, I have many 'screenshots' in my Images, have yet to figure out how to sort them into relevant albums, also how to add a name to some. I regularly use screenshots on my laptop, too. Find it very handy for all sorts of documents, DNA result pages etc.

Dave, with the aid of your excellent graphic descriptions, I am now able to recognise where the little 'send to' box with arrow, (top left) is, albeit almost invisible to me being such a pale colour. Is there an 'attach file' icon to use when posting on this site? Otherwise, does one have to type in the whole link to attach an image?

Hi PamBee - glad that the Photo App explanation seems to be working for you; now regarding your question above in bold - my posts to IPF are done on my laptop, so I'm signed into the website (and not using the iPad app) - there are several options to add images in your posts: 1) by selecting the 'Image' icon (next to the 'movie' one), the first screenshot below will open - there, you can select images from your computer or use an URL from the web (I do both); and 2) by scrolling down to 'Manage Attactments' which will bring up the second screenshot below, you can select one or more images that you have in your image cache on the IPF site (mine has about 15 pages) - these can be reused. Good luck! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 11.12.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 11.13.07 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts