What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can not find Dictation

Kevin43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi
Can you please tell me Where to look For the dictation? Open up settings go to general Then keyboard I can not find the Dictation Tab in there I have the new iPad with iOS 6.0.1 Thank you

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, just for reference it should be here in Settings > General > Keyboard... (at the bottom right) IF you are running IOS 5.x

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351972397.663309.jpg

On IOS 6, it is turned on as part of Siri, which is found in Settings > General > Siri

If you don't see that option, have you enabled restrictions? Go to Settings > General > Restrictions and ensure Dictation / Siri is ON.

Furthermore, the dictation "Mic" button is only presented on the keyboard when it is sensible to allow dictation (not all the time).

Oh, and lastly, I should have checked first, you do have an iPad3 (or 4 / Mini), yes? Dictation was an iPad3 (and iPhone4S) exclusive feature when originally released - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5176, but is also supported on the latest iPad4 and Mini now, as well as the iPhone5.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, Siri and Dictation are only available in the following languages/keyboards.

Siri language support for

English (U.S., UK, Canada, Australia), Spanish (U.S., Mexico, Spain), French (France, Canada, Switzerland), German (Germany, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Hong Kong)

-- iPad tech specification page.

Most reactions