What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can my tiger 10.4.11 G5 sync to my iPad re:iTunes?

Boccaccio70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi smart ones-

I bought a pawn shop ipad with no manual...Can my OSX 10.4.11 G5 Quad (sigh... I used to wow the ladies)
sync to my iPad re:iTunes?

My friend has a laptop Dell PC. Can my iPad sync to a PC?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad can sync to a PC running XP or newer versions of Windows.

I do not believe you can run the most current version of iTunes on a PPC Mac, and that will be a problem if the iPad is running a current version of iOS. However it is possible iOS 5 will be out in the next couple days, which means you will be dependant on the Windows machine for only a short time.

Once you update to iOS 5, iTunes will no longer be necessary.

Using the iBooks app (available in the App Store) you can download and read the iPad Users Guide. It is also available as a PDF: Apple - Support - iPad

Safari on the iPad also has pre-loaded bookmarks to help pages.

OP
B

Boccaccio70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I am a bit confused regarding your statement about iPad OS 5, and saying iTunes will no longer be necessary . Does that mean my PPC will be able to load songs into my iPad independent of PPC OS?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes and no. iOS 5 will remove the need to sync, backup, or update the iPad through iTunes. That's not to say there won't be things iTunes can still be used for, or user scenarios that may require it (like syncing ripped CDs), but in general you will be able to use an iPad completely independent of iTunes or even another computer. It will stand on it's own as a device, finally.

But you will need iTunes and a computer to perform the update to iOS 5. At least until they start selling them with it preinstalled.

Apple is having an announcement tomorrow. Keep an eye on the tech news and you should get a fair idea of what/how iOS 5, iCloud, and of course the new iPhone will work.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts