What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can My iPad 2 Play Blue Ray Files.

hghflyrjd1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have blueray files on my PC i want to play them on my ipad 2..IS it possible?which apps do i need to do this?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have blueray files on my PC i want to play them on my ipad 2..IS it possible?which apps do i need to do this?
Not directly. The video media that will play on the iPad depends on how you convert the source material...it has to be compatible. The most popular transcoding application is Handbrake (free). There are numerous other applications that do similar work...use the Google search field in the upper right-hand corner of this page.

These are the media types that are supported on the iPad:

H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.

Besides the native Video app, Oplayer is probably the most popular video player app for the iPad.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Not directly. The video media that will play on the iPad depends on how you convert the source material...it has to be compatible. The most popular transcoding application is Handbrake (free). There are numerous other applications that do similar work...use the Google search field in the upper right-hand corner of this page.

These are the media types that are supported on the iPad:

H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.

Besides the native Video app, Oplayer is probably the most popular video player app for the iPad.

Hope that helps!

Rich, I have an mpg video that my iPad said didn't have an app to open this type of file with. Hmmmm....??

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rich, I have an mpg video that my iPad said didn't have an app to open this type of file with. Hmmmm....??
There's a difference between the older MPEG1/MPEG2 formats, both of which can have the file extension of .MPG or .MPEG and the newer mobile standard MPEG-4 (.MP4). The iPad can only play MPEG-4 files in it's native Video App. You could convert it or Oplayer can play .MPG files. It can be confusing, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Most reactions