What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use my IPad 2nd gen as a modem for my PC?

venusphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem with the wifi in the building am in right now and would like to use my iPad as a modem,mi have a 3G network on it and it works well but when I try to put in a VPN password then it asks me for a IPS secret frase or something like that and I lose it t that point.
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Venusphillips - welcome to the forum! :)

I also have an iPad2 but w/ just Wi-Fi - don't quite understand your use of the word 'modem' above? Are you wanting to setup the iPad as a Wi-Fi hotspot? If so, not a possibility as far as I know. Now if you are connecting well via 3G, is the problem getting into your company's network via VPN? May help others if you can clarify your exact needs. Thanks - Dave

OP
V

venusphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thank you.
Sorry for the confusion, yes I wanted to make my IPAD I wifi hot spot. I thought I could do its itshows the VPN option. Iam having trouble with my companies wifi to use it on my PC.
So is it totally impossible to use my IPAD as a wifi spot?
ML, Venus

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
venusphillips said:
I have a problem with the wifi in the building am in right now and would like to use my iPad as a modem,mi have a 3G network on it and it works well but when I try to put in a VPN password then it asks me for a IPS secret frase or something like that and I lose it t that point.
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

No, I'm afraid not. You would need the iPad 3 or the new iPad 4 to create a wifi hotspot, as well as a cellular data plan for the iPad.

OP
V

venusphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see, my IPad 2 has a cellular plan, does that change anything?
Venus

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
venusphillips said:
I see, my IPad 2 has a cellular plan, does that change anything?
Venus

Sorry, but you can't create a wifi hotspot with a stock iPad 2 cellular data plan or not, you would need an iPad 3 or 4 to do that.

OP
V

venusphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand something, a little window keeps showing on my iPad saying that a new threat has been posted about this one but. Can't find them, can someone explain it to me please.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
venusphillips said:
I don't understand something, a little window keeps showing on my iPad saying that a new threat has been posted about this one but. Can't find them, can someone explain it to me please.

A new threat about this one, what? Could you post a screenshot of the pop up window with the warning?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi again - not sure that I understand your issue, sorry? Is this 'threat' showing up on your home screen, in one or more opened apps, or elsewhere? You could also take a 'screen shot' of the message and try to post back to this thread (if not done before, just press the Power & Home buttons simultaneously - the image will be saved in your Photo app) - good luck! :)

OP
V

venusphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah! It keeps telling me that a new threat has been posted to the threat. But I can't see any, it shows up when my IPAD is locked and it shows a number on top of the IPF app, I open it and it shows that there is a new threat but when I look for it there is nothing. Really strange maybe am being stupid about this. But I don't understand it. If you understand what am saying. Hope this makes sense. TKs

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
venusphillips said:
Yeah! It keeps telling me that a new threat has been posted to the threat. But I can't see any, it shows up when my IPAD is locked and it shows a number on top of the IPF app, I open it and it shows that there is a new threat but when I look for it there is nothing. Really strange maybe am being stupid about this. But I don't understand it. If you understand what am saying. Hope this makes sense. TKs

I believe that this thread may help understand the phantom notifications you're receiving from iPF about posts that don't exist.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/93828-you-getting-many-notifications-ipf.html

OP
V

venusphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scifan, thanks for that link, that makes sense it was driving me crazy.

Most reactions