What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I upgrade to 7.1.2 ?

thirdage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys,

so my question is simple. can I upgrade to 7.1.2 knowing that am currently at 5.1.1 ??
I've downloaded the .ispw restore firmware, will I be able to use or not ?? I tried and I got an error (3194). Is that it? wouldn't it work ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

so my question is simple. can I upgrade to 7.1.2 knowing that am currently at 5.1.1 ??
I've downloaded the .ispw restore firmware, will I be able to use or not ?? I tried and I got an error (3194). Is that it? wouldn't it work ?

What generation of iPad do you have? If it's the first generation, you can only go to iOS 5.1.1. That's the highest it will ever run.

If you are on any other iPad, you can only install iOS 8.0.2. That is the only one that Apple is authorizing.

If you try any other version, you will get error notices.

Marilyn

OP
T

thirdage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:/ thanks a lot, but how could I know such information in the future ?? I've read that downgrading from 8.0.2 to 7.1.2 is impossible but I didn't read anywhere that upgrading to 7.1.2 is impossible as well !

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
:/ thanks a lot, but how could I know such information in the future ?? I've read that downgrading from 8.0.2 to 7.1.2 is impossible but I didn't read anywhere that upgrading to 7.1.2 is impossible as well !
You're correct in what you heard about downgrading. You can't downgrade to an iOS version that Apple is no longer signing, neither can you upgrade to an iOS that Apple is no longer signing.

The reason that you can't do either is that the last part of the upgrade or downgrade procedure is an online verification by Apple. If Apple is no longer signing that particular iOS version for the device you're trying to upgrade or downgrade, the procedure will fail.

The iPhone 4 is the only iOS device that can still be upgraded to iOS 7.1.2 as that is the highest supported iOS version for the iPhone 4.

Last edited:
OP
T

thirdage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the information!! That's 1.3 GB wasted, but it's okay ... I've learnt my lesson!

Most reactions