What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i lock an app?

Lancelee80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again. My two year old loves to play with PBS kids app but tends to close the app and browse: settings, other apps, etc. so my question is; is there an app where I can lock an app into place so you can't leave it without a password or something?
Thanks for helping

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is unfortunately no way to do this on a stock iPad.

There are options if you are willing to jailbreak, including "incarcerapp" which was developed for just this purpose - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/38105-incarcerapp.html

You can find more information about jailbreaking in our hacking section - iPad Hacking

Please read all the sticky threads in that section which should answer any questions you have about the process and whether your current iPad can be jailbroken.

OP
L

Lancelee80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. As for jailbreaking, it's not something I know much about. So I guess I would need to do some research about it. I will also admit that I am not that smart when it comes to software and things like that, so not sure how beneficial it would be for me. I also don't want to void my warranty, my iPad is less than a month old. But..having an app that can lock another app in place would be nice haha.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All you need to do is find a way to cover the Home button so that it can not be pressed. There are cases that will do that, or you could probably devise something yourself.

Oh, and turn off Multitasking Gestures under Settings > General >

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me play off twerppoet's idea. There's a product that's been out for a while called BubCap. It's a rubber sticky thingy you put over the Home button to make it too difficult for little ones to press the button. See this Amazon link for more info (it's got good reviews, too, though I've never used it): Amazon.com: BubCap Home Button Cover Intro-Pack (contains 2 BubCaps & 2 BubCap Ultras): Electronics

And yeah, you'll still want to make sure the multigestures are turned off...

Granted, the Cydia tweak Incarcerapp for jail broken iPads would work best (yes, I'm prejudiced! :D), but this may provide a solution until you are more comfortable about jailbreaking.

Good luck.

Marilyn

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to be a heretic here but if you're willing to invest in a Kindle Fire, there is an app (Kids Place) that provides exactly the functionality you're looking for. I've found it very useful for our seven year old and she finds the smaller form factor of the KF to be easier to deal with than the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts