What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i get an application like excel on my ipad2?

boracanal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pls can anyone tell if we have any application on ipad2 dat is like excel or with most of the features of ms word.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Numbers is the Apple "answer" to Excel and Pages is the Apple answer to MS Word. Neither is as fullly-featured as their Microsoft counterparts and on the iPad neither is as fully featured as the same application on the Mac platform, but that's the answer. In addition, you can use various MS Office "emulators" such as Documents to Go. However, none of these are as fully featured as the MS Office applications, either.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Numbers is the answer, they got the question wrong.

Documents To Go read/writes excel-format, so you can exchange spreadsheets between the desktop and mobile. I have the android version and it works fine.
The other difference - Numbers is JUST a spreadsheet. Docs2go creates/edits Word and Excel, and views Powerpoint and PDF.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Numbers (and iWorks in general) makes a decent full replacement for Excel (Microsoft Office), if your needs are not too exotic. So, yes, it's Apple's answer to Excel: with enough compatibility for those who have occasional need to transfer documents between the two.

For a companion app for Excel, then you are right, Documents to Go is the better answer. It has better integration with DropBox (for easier transfer between the computer and iPad), and tends to have fewer formatting problems when you transfer documents between Excel and the app multiple times.

Apple didn't get the question wrong. They just were not asking the same question as you. They wanted to replace Excel with a simpler, easier to use app for the average user. You want something that does Excel on your iPad.

Nothing wrong with that. That's why we have different software companies and apps, so no-one is stuck with one company's idea of what's the best solution.

For the OP: Here are a couple of reviews (by forum members) of the more popular Office compatible apps.

Compare iWorks, Office 2 HD, Documents to Go, QuickOffice by richsdams
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Office Apps Comparison by RedCoil (details and examples, very long)
http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Numbers is the answer, they got the question wrong.

Documents To Go read/writes excel-format, so you can exchange spreadsheets between the desktop and mobile. I have the android version and it works fine.
The other difference - Numbers is JUST a spreadsheet. Docs2go creates/edits Word and Excel, and views Powerpoint and PDF.

Well, that's why I added quotes to "answer." I've been using Docs2Go for years on various devices. And while I think it's probably the best application to deal with MS Office documents in a non-Windows environment, it's far from perfect, especially if the documents take advantage of advanced Word and Excel features. Sadly, there simply isn't a wholly satisfactory answer to this issue.

I'm happy to see that Twerppoet cited the comparative reviews of various office automation apps. Those reviews are among the most valuable I've ever read.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
About a week ago noticed this new app. It's basically a remote desktop app, but goes to a server and supplies some basic applications; including an Office Suite. It requires an internet connection (a solid and reasonably fast one I'd imagine), so it might not work well on a 3G connection.

Office suite, Flash & Java, Chrome browser, PDF Reader and Dropbox sync on a Virtual PC - AlwaysOnPC iPad Edition for iPad on the iTunes App Store

It costs too much for me to try, especially since I'm perfectly happy with my current software; but others might be interested, and this looked like a good thread to mention it.

There is a free trial you can use via a computer to get an idea of what it will do. That, of course, will be little help in deciding how usable it will be on the iPad itself.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pigletbash999 said:
Numbers is very limited as far as features go.

Is it? What are the key features it is missing? I had this on my short list of apps I want but I keep holding off. Quick Office appears to be a solid alternative.

Most reactions

Latest posts