What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I change the names of artists on songs in iTunes?

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Soryy if this seems like a silly question, but in many of my older CD rips to iTunes my albums either come up with no names for the artists in compilation albums or the wrong ones - just as "Various artists", or some times just plain wrong: I've a whole album that lists Al Bowlby as the singer - he sings just one song!

Short of taking notes on each track in Free Notes, is there a way to do this directly in iTunes and have that show up in my iPad?

Yes I'm a complete idiot - explanations in one syllable would be great!

Thanks, Alec

Last edited by a moderator:

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Itubes Orphans

Soryy if this seems like a silly question, but in many of my older CD rips to iTunes my albums either come up with no names for the artists in compilation albums or the wrong ones - just as "Various artists", or some times just plain wrong: I've a whole album that lists Al Bowlby as the singer - he sings just one song!

Short of taking notes on each track in Free Notes, is there a way to do this directly in iTunes and have that show up in my iPad?

Yes I'm a complete idiot - explanations in one syllable would be great!

Thanks, Alec

This comes up a lot, and there is a workaround:

Open itunes without your ipad connected

go to the File menu and choose info

From the dialouge box, type in the informaton you want about the album
Important Part!

Tick the box at the bottom of the dialouge which says " This is part of a compilation"

Then Sync your ipad.

You need to do this for each orphaned track, and if you use search you will find I have posted a more detailed reason as to why this happens.

:)hope this helps

OP
O

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that info - I had no idea!

It also finally let me re-classify Laurie Anderson's "Big Science" from "Classical" (!?!?!) to something else; I settled on "Alternative", since "Electronic" & "Electronica" didn't really seem right to me. I mean, "alternative electronica", possibly, but Classical - what were they thinking? Maybe it's the dedication to Massenet in "O Superman". Who knows? Maybe iTunes just employ an infinite number of monkeys with keyboards and they go with whatever the most monkeys decide.

Yours, gratefully, Alec

PS: should I now reclassify Louis Armstrong's "Jazz Masters 1" from "Easy Listening" (excuse me while I vomit) to Jazz, or is this just the onset of a severe case of OCD? I mean, I've got the Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs Complete Mercury Sessions: if ever an album begged to be labelled "Bluegrass" this is it; instead it's labelled "Country & Folk" ... where do I stop?

I know: I'll just listen to them instead; that should save all the angst. Or maybe I'll get into subverting the whole insane system: Beethoven's 9th can be lablelled "Hip-Hop/Rap" and Love it to Death by Alice Cooper as "easy listening" Or "The Essential Miles Davis as "Productivity".

Suggestions are welcome :)

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No No, Jazz for sure.....Trust me, I'm a musician :) glad you are sorted now!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts