What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a 3G iPad make full use of 4G ?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Right now, there is only one carrier in my area that provides wireless access... They use 3G. (they call it 3.5G)..

A new carrier is coming on line here around the end of January 2011.. They will be supplying 4G connectivity. Can the iPad adapt to 4G and use the higher speed, or will it limited by firmware/hardware to 3G speeds?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think of it this way, you won't burn up your data plan quite so fast on 3g vs. 4g and that might just keep you out of the poor house a little longer.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I figured it was hardware so 4G won't work on a 3G only device. Perhaps we'll see 4G with the iPad II. I searched for 3G/4G device compatibility and there are lots of explanations about the advantages of 4G over 3G, but nothing on device compatibility.

And yes.. It will burn up data a lot faster.. But it's only money.. Can't take it with you :) I've got a 5 GB per month plan.. I rarely go over 1 GB...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However, if you get 4G service through something similar to a Mi-Fi device that acts as a wireless access point, yes, you can take full advantage of the 4G speeds. Your iPad will just see it as a wireless network, it doesn't care how it's getting the data speed, just that it's getting it.

BarkingGhost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha! I was going to PM the original poster on this, but my newbie post count hadn't hit six yet. Too funny, but I get the necessity.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
This is a good question, and a lot of it depends on what changes in the Generation change (the "G" in 3G and 4G stands for Generation). I have know idea what the telecomm "3G" and "4G" abbreviations really mean. If anyone has a knowledgable definition of AT&Ts or Verizonwireless' definition of these (and not just a guess), please point me toward that. I'm guessing that it involves protocol, carrier frequency and data modulation method.

I seriously doubt that any machine that is designed to talk in 3G probably can't talk 4G unless it is also so designed.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Sprint has iPad 4G, Way way Faster than iPad 3G.
How does one acquire Sprint iPad 4G service?

The Cellular Data plan that appears on a 3G device under settings/Cellular Data is set to work with AT&T isn't it?

Is Sprint's 4G different than AT&T's 3G (it seems it would have to be if it is "Way way faster")?

In fact what is referred to here as "iPad 3G", is it AT&T's or Sprint's?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just do a quick Google search for "Sprint iPad 4G." They have been offering the service for quite a while. It's just a Sprint made iPad case that holds one of their 4G access points. So you use your Wi-Fi only iPad with their case and access point and you get 4G via Wi-Fi.

Most reactions

Latest posts