What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera kit supplies inadequate power for peripheral - help please!

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've got an iPad Camera Connector Kit, which allows you to connect many peripherals via USB. I was hoping to use it with this product, the Shure X2u XLR-USB Signal Adapter (I can't post a link yet, but if you google "Shure X2u XLR-USB Signal Adapter" including the quotes around it the relevant product page at Shure.com is the first on the page of results).

This would allow me to do location audio recording with the several high-quality microphones I already own, rather than have to buy a (possibly inferior) USB microphone. I bought an X2u cheaply (A$75), used. My iPad had not yet been delivered so I was unable to test it first, but the device is fully functional when used with a PC.

Unfortunately, the Camera Connector Kit can not supply sufficient power to the unit to power up the Shure X2u. I get a message to this effect when I try to use it with my iPad.

Is there anyway to provide additional power from a battery to the Shure? I know that using a USB hub can do the job, but since I want to use this for location recording, away from a computer of power socket this won't help me.

Elsewhere it was suggested to me that a USB splitter plug might work, with the Camera kit connected to one plug of the Y-splitter, a USB battery to the other, and the Shure to the third. However the guy who suggested this also said "I can't be sure this won't fry your iPad!"

Has anybody got a solution for my problem, or can they point me to where I could find out on the net? I've searched but found nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Emileb420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to my iPad, but I do remember reading a bit ago about that issue. I know that there are some USB devices that will bring up that power warning, but then they go ahead and work anyways. Have you actual tried to use the mic? With luck, your microphones could fall into this group of USB devices.

OP
O

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to my iPad, but I do remember reading a bit ago about that issue. I know that there are some USB devices that will bring up that power warning, but then they go ahead and work anyways. Have you actual tried to use the mic? With luck, your microphones could fall into this group of USB devices.

Unfortunately not - it definitely does not work with the iPad. I went ahead and tried anyway, but it simply does not work - nothing is recorded except for from the built-in mic. I've tried three mics, a dynamic, an electret, and a condenser - none work, and the X2u does not power up,

It's not surprising really - firstly the X2u has big power needs, as it has to be capable of supplying 48 volt phantom power to condenser mics (admittedly at tiny amperages), and secondly Apple in their wisdom decided to reduce the power output via the Camera Connector Kit in a recent OS update. Even if I switch the X2u's phantom power off it still doesn't work. I don't know whether it would have worked with the original output - maybe, maybe not.

There are probably technical reasons why they have chosen to do this, and I admit my knowledge of both electronics and USB is close to nil, but if this is just a means of conserving the iPad's battery life I wish they had given people the option of switching between high and low output in the preferences.

I would happily trade off more frequent charging and possibly shortened battery life for the ability to use higher powered devices with the Camera Kit - and so, I expect would the tens of thousands of musicians who find that their portable USB controller keyboards will probably not work with the iPad without a powered USB hub (some do - most don't).

The whole point about the iPad is its portability and the ability to use it anywhere - things that are made much more limited by this low-power USB problem.

Thanks anyway!

domsdabomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, for now I think your out of luck, people who are using the camera port to plug in a usb drive, still need power. The port doesn't supply enough power. Whether or this can be fixed through code I am not sure.

OP
O

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember reading that non-Apple 5-in-1 one doesn't have this problem.

Can you remember where you saw this? I've googled everything I can think of and not found any mention of additional power supply capabilities of the 5-in-1 dock adaptor.

I've also tried searching this forum, but since the advanced search rejects the words five, in, one, 5, and 1 as search terms I can't find anything. if I just search for dock adaptor or dock adapter or dock accessory, I still can't find any mention of this product.

If it really does provide extra USB power it might well solve my problem, and it's cheap enough.

Sridhar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=m3LTZY_w1C--Um75YkyYa5rIFhWViUerr2Ussir3BHc

See "Linked Comment".

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!! Upgrade to the 5 in 1 Connection Kit (the real one with the ports I'm going to mention): I got it yesterday & it has a USB mini port that I connected the power to & I connected the keyboard to the USB (regular). Now the keyboard works perfectly & the iPad charges... now I'm not limited to the iPads charge.
Oh & if that's not enough, it also has Video / Audio out (includes the composite cable)... & of course SD, SD mini...
Purchased at RazorEdgeCases... seen on eBay 2

Sridhar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found a listing in ebay titled "5 in 1 Apple authentic brand iPad camera connection kit" costing $28.99.

Let me know if you want the link.

OP
O

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=m3LTZY_w1C--Um75YkyYa5rIFhWViUerr2Ussir3BHc

See "Linked Comment".

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!! Upgrade to the 5 in 1 Connection Kit (the real one with the ports I'm going to mention): I got it yesterday & it has a USB mini port that I connected the power to & I connected the keyboard to the USB (regular). Now the keyboard works perfectly & the iPad charges... now I'm not limited to the iPads charge.
Oh & if that's not enough, it also has Video / Audio out (includes the composite cable)... & of course SD, SD mini...
Purchased at RazorEdgeCases... seen on eBay 2

Thanks for tracking that down for me, Sridhar!

But what exactly does he mean by "I got it yesterday & it has a USB mini port that I connected the power to"? What power source is he using to connect to the USB mini port? Some sort of battery pack? Or what?

I'm so confused! There are reliable reports of people getting some devices to work with the Camera Connection Kit simply by using an un-powered USB hub between a microphone and the CCK Harmonicdog • View topic - Blue Yeti and iPad errors . Apparently this can work by buffering the iPad from power spikes when plugging in the equipment. But only with some USB hubs - and the ones that have been tested to work this way aren't available in Australia.

I've yet to get confirmation that this will even work for the X2u - it may be that it simply exceeds the power available at all times, not just when plugging it in.

Somebody else says they've got some devices to work using an un-powered hub and a battery pack plugged into one of the other ports. Again, no confirmation this will work with the X2u.

I'm going to try replying to that post on YouTube, in the hope that he sees it and gives more detail of exactly what method he has used, but it's a slim chance.

Thanks -I've found the link you mentioned on Ebay. Hopefully I'll find a solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts