What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera connection kit with smartphone?

Ipadgk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking to transfer pics and video from my HTC EVO to my ipad via the camera connection kit through the USB adapter. Any way to do this? (I have been taking the SD card out of my EVO to transfer files, however this requires me to shut down my phone and remove the battery to access the SD card). Thanks

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ipadgk said:
Looking to transfer pics and video from my HTC EVO to my ipad via the camera connection kit through the USB adapter. Any way to do this? (I have been taking the SD card out of my EVO to transfer files, however this requires me to shut down my phone and remove the battery to access the SD card). Thanks

Do you have a USB cable to connect to the computer? Device needs to be compatible, but in my several cameras and different camera cell phones, I've not had a problem. Plug your device into the camera connect with the USB cord. It should/will recognize your device as a "camera," see the pics, and give you the option to transfer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My Droid X had a USB Mass Storage mode that made it look just like a USB drive when connected to the computer. You set this via settings, or the notifications bar when the phone detected it had been plugged in.

If the phone is set up this way the iPad will (probably) detect the DCIM folder and allow you to import compatible media. Jpg for sure, but I doubt it will recognize the .gp format my videos were in.

OP
I

Ipadgk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried setting it to mass storage mode, but when I attach the EVO, the iPad says the device requires too much power.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tried setting it to mass storage mode, but when I attach the EVO, the iPad says the device requires too much power.

Darn. Unfortunately at some point Apple decided to reduce the amount of power the USB port would supply. Some USB drives, and phones, run up against this. Looks like your's is one.

I don't know why a phone with it's own battery would do this, but it obviously looks like it draws current from the iPad's point of view.

Sorry, no more ideas from this house.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe you can set up Dropbox to send from your EVO and access with iPad..seems a long way around, but could be workable

OP
I

Ipadgk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The dropbox method works, however I was looking for the simplicity of the connection kit. I am trying to figure out if I can still make it work if my EVO is rooted.....

OP
I

Ipadgk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SOLVED: had a tiny (NON-powered) laptop USB hub lying around. I plugged it in between the camera connection kit and the EVO and it now works! It somehow stops the EVO from drawing power from the ipad2 I guess.

Most reactions

Latest posts