What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera connection kit problems with iPad2

Coinin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used the camera connection kit perfectly well with the iPad 1. I recently tried to use the same kit with the exact same camera on my new iPad2 and it will not download the photos. It gives some kind of error message (exactly what I can't remember- something about the card may be corrupted, but the SD card in camera is working fine.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
C

Coinin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have shut down my iPad in the way you describe several times since I had this problem. Am I right in believing that the camera connection kit does work with the iPad2 then? I don't need to purchase a new one?

jdpurvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Compatible Camera Kits

I'm sure I've read that some cam kits are not iPad2 compatable.
This one for instance is not compatable here:
2 in 1 Camera Connection Kit SD Card Reader & USB iPad | eBay

This one: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A), available locally or on Amazon, has worked with my IPAD2 for SD cards. I haven't tried the USB feature. Apparently, this used to work better, but Apple didn't want people to use the USB feature to import other files, so they crippled it - so it may not always work with your camera that way. But the SD support is very good - slick, and easy to use.

J

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I used the camera connection kit perfectly well with the iPad 1. I recently tried to use the same kit with the exact same camera on my new iPad2 and it will not download the photos. It gives some kind of error message (exactly what I can't remember- something about the card may be corrupted, but the SD card in camera is working fine.

Hi Coinin - I bought into the iPad2 and the CCK (Camera Connection Kit) recently; seems to work fine for me on the newer iPad - not sure if Apple decided to change the specs as mentioned in other posts here?

I'll be curious as to the responses - :)

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have an ipad2 and the apple camera connection kit that I have used without incident. I have heard of some people having issues using the USB though, and I'm not sure but I think it may be related to a power issue. I know the USB connector can be used with some flash drives etc that squire an extremely low amount of power to operate. The power output on the iPad is very low and as such, can not sufficiently power many devices. Being that you are using the camera, though, one would think that the camera would supply the power for the transfer of data. I have used my USB connector with success from my canon t1i, but with no success on one of my USB flash drives.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Apple camera kit and the MIC Store camera kit for compact cards. Both have worked very well both with the cards and the USB port with my Canon 40D camera. I have an IPad 2. I purchased the MIC because I like the direct connection of the card rather than to fumble with the cable.

http://store.micgadget.com/card-readers/280-ipad-2-cf-card-camera-connection-kit.html

I used these to upload in excess of 5,000 photos so far, usually to be able to look at them when traveling and as a form of back up during the trip.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rockbottom said:
I have the Apple camera kit and the MIC Store camera kit for compact cards. Both have worked very well both with the cards and the USB port with my Canon 40D camera. I have an IPad 2. I purchased the MIC because I like the direct connection of the card rather than to fumble with the cable.

http://store.micgadget.com/card-readers/280-ipad-2-cf-card-camera-connection-kit.html

I used these to upload in excess of 5,000 photos so far, usually to be able to look at them when traveling and as a form of back up during the trip.

Thanks for the info! I have been wondering about the MIC kit. I like that it is all in one connector rather that 2 different ones. Perhaps I'll check it out. Did it take long for shipping?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It took maybe 3 to 4 weeks - I do not remember exactly - but they had sent me an email to inform me that they were out of one component and were a little behind. If you use compact cards, you will like it even if your camera connects ok to the USB port of the kit.

schons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi coinin, i used to have this problem before it's because u have un-locked ur ipad2, i will pm u the procedures and link to the solution..

mamajennie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought the connector but when I put it in with my SD card, I don't see where to import my photos. Can someone tell me where to look?

jdpurvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPAD recognizes camera SD cards by the default directory in which the camera puts the photos. I tried just copying photos to an SD card, and Ipad didn't see them, but if I pulled sd from camera, it worked fine. Of course, you could simoly copy photos into the directory where the camera had been putting them...

Good luck,

Joe

robert666t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a sd card reader which worked brilliantly first time then refused to work again,read all the posts on here and took the card reader back to HMV where it was purchased from and tried about 10 more all of which didn't work.Then took iPad to John Lewis where it was purchased from,the guy did a couple of tests and said it's the iPad at fault.Seems it's quite a common problem and they exchanged my iPad for a new one.
Great service from John Lewis,better than apple who didn't want to know!

Most reactions

Latest posts