What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar won't open after IOS5 update

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
After the IOS5 update my calendar started acting erratically. I would tap on an event and the calendar would close. Now when I open the calendar it opens for a second or two and then closes. I live by my calendar and have not seen anything posted on this issue. I have tried various methods to fix this (cold boot with it plugged into iTunes, reset, etc.) but nothing seems to work. Worse yet, because the calendar is a resident app you can't delete it and re-import it. Does anyone know of a fix for this issue?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to close it.

Close: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

I've found it's a good idea to do a reset after an iOS update. Just seems to prevent problems.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I should have noticed you already did at least two of these things.

Another thing you can try is to turn off the Calendar in any account you have set up, then try to start it. Just to see if it's the data that is doing the nasty stuff.

If none of this works you'll have to restore the iPad. That is the only way to fix a faulty native app.

jackblack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to close it.

Close: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

I've found it's a good idea to do a reset after an iOS update. Just seems to prevent problems.

After ios5 update if not having any issues should still do a reset? Is this get todo every so often? Does it mess anything up/will I lose anything?

Sent from my iPad 2

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After ios5 update if not having any issues should still do a reset? Is this get todo every so often? Does it mess anything up/will I lose anything?

Sent from my iPad 2

Apple recommend a restart about once a month, or when things don't seem to be working right. They only recommend a reset when you can not do a restart (the iPad is frozen). Experience has shown that occasionally a reset will fix what a restart won't. There has never (to my knowledge) been a problem reported from doing a reset. It does not remove apps or any information from the iPad.

I recommend doling a restart, like Apple, about once a month or whenever you feel it may help. Save resets for when that does not work.

pbertin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having this problem as well! I just updated to iOS5.0.1 a few days ago and today my calendar stopped working. It opens for 1 or 2 seconds and then closes. I have tried a restart and reset, but nothing has helped. How do you restore?

Euderma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and found it because of a search for the "blank calendar" problem after upgrading to iOS5. I did not have this issue before the update. I am synching the ipad1 calendar via Exchange server to Windows Live Mail calendar. Also tried using the GMail calendar via IMAP protocol. Both calendars "disappear" on iPad, highly sporadic. Did restart, reset and even a full restore, recommended by a guy at the Apple store. NO DIFFERENCE :-(. The only way for me to display the calendar(s) is to uncheck my calendar and immediately check it again, and it fills in all data. What is the issue here? This appears to be iOS5 related, is Apple aware of this? Thanks, Euderma

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you did all that, then you've done just about everything that can be done.

You can try deleting and re-adding the accounts, but that should have happened with the restore too, unless you restored from a backup.

If you restored from a backup, you could try a clean restore and basically start over. Be sure to save important documents off the iPad first.

Also, if you have any other apps on the iPad that are supposed to work with the calendar (display, add, or delete events), like Pocket Informant can, you may want to make sure those apps have been updated to iOS 5, or just delete them and see if that helps.

And that's all I can think of at the moment.

I have not heard of this being a wide spread problem, so I doubt it's bug in iOS 5. More likely it is a glitch specific to your iPad and/or setup.

Euderma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Additional question

Thanks twerp poet, yes, I did restor from my backup on PC. please help me to understand this account suggestion. Do you recommend deleting those two email accounts, Windows Live over Exchange and the Gmail account and then after a reboot re-create both?. I can do this. I am a bit reluctant to do a "clean restore" as I am concerned some of the apps or documents will get lost. Alos, as I wrote the "blank calendar" is highly sporadic, haven't figured out what triggers it, and can be easily remedied. Thanks for all your help, great forum. Euderma

If you did all that, then you've done just about everything that can be done.

You can try deleting and re-adding the accounts, but that should have happened with the restore too, unless you restored from a backup.

If you restored from a backup, you could try a clean restore and basically start over. Be sure to save important documents off the iPad first.

Also, if you have any other apps on the iPad that are supposed to work with the calendar (display, add, or delete events), like Pocket Informant can, you may want to make sure those apps have been updated to iOS 5, or just delete them and see if that helps.

And that's all I can think of at the moment.

I have not heard of this being a wide spread problem, so I doubt it's bug in iOS 5. More likely it is a glitch specific to your iPad and/or setup.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, just delete the accounts under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; than add them again. It' is best to open the Calendar in between to make sure it clears everything out.

If that does not work, then a clean restore is likely to be your only other choice. Just be sure to go through all your apps and save anything important first if by no other means, then mail it to yourself. The apps themselves can always be reloaded from the App Store.

Euderma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Additional info

Now my wife's iPad 2 showed this "behavior" for the first time. She is using iCal as her desktop is an iMac. Unchecking and rechecking calendar makes it visible again. Also found information on an Apple forum that pressing a different than the current month makes the calendar "come back". I see more "complaints" about this phenomena and perhaps it is OS5 related.
Euderma

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't have any more ideas, but I'll certainly keep an eye on my Calendar app and any articles. If I discover anything I'll let you know.

Most reactions

Latest posts