What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

buying refurbished- any negative concerns

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After visiting an apple store and hubby seeing in action- he wants one too. The apple employee did mention a refurbished as a $ saving possibility since we are both looking for one(each).
Anybody ever buy refurbished and any feedback or concerns- I would only buy through the apple site .

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not iPads but quite frequently buy refurbished electronics. Just bought a pair of Asus Android tablets for the wife and daughter. Both are running great and they love them.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After visiting an apple store and hubby seeing in action- he wants one too. The apple employee did mention a refurbished as a $ saving possibility since we are both looking for one(each).
Anybody ever buy refurbished and any feedback or concerns- I would only buy through the apple site .

How timely you ask this question! I just ordered a refurbed iPad Mini last week and had it shipped to the Apple Store close to my house. I picked it up 2 days ago and am quite pleased with it! Even the Apple Employee at the store said I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the new and the refurbished. Since I bought it--I am truly sold on buying another refurbed something or the other! Absolutely impressed with how it looked out of the box. Saved $100 for a 64 GB white iPad Mini.

image-2733048507.jpg

It came wrapped in plastic and in the traditional Apple White Box. Note the wording on the bottom of the box..

image-2154096409.jpg

The casing, both screen and backing were spotless!! It came with a new battery and casing. You also get a new cord and plug with the device.

image-1740042491.jpg

Firing up.. I had to update it to 6.1.3 before restoring it from my iPad 2 backup--working beautifully!

Did I tell you also that you get the Apple Stickers also!! Love those! ;)

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

Last edited:
OP
D

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the input. The savings is what really spiked an interest in refurbished. It means he can get a iPad 3 for the cost of a iPad 2 . I am going to wait till the fall to make the purchases because if there is a new model, there will be sales on the 3 and 4- either way, the price won't go up on the refurbished models

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the input. The savings is what really spiked an interest in refurbished. It means he can get a iPad 3 for the cost of a iPad 2 . I am going to wait till the fall to make the purchases because if there is a new model, there will be sales on the 3 and 4- either way, the price won't go up on the refurbished models

Glad to help!! You will be very very happy with your purchase! I am currently looking to buy another iPad mini and also a iPod touch 4th gen for a Christmas and Birthday gift for my parents. Can't resist the savings and quality of these devices!

Let us know what you end up getting! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, I have not purchased an Apple refurbished product but there have been positive posts on this forum (and other Apple sites, such as MacRumors) about the quality of Apple's approach to this market - a nice discussion HERE; plus, these 'refurbed' devices come w/ a 1-year warranty, so hard to go wrong while saving a few bucks - go for it! Dave :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add to skimonkey's great advice, I have purchased a couple of refurb iPads down the years (as well as some other Apple kit) and it's impossible to tell the difference between the refurbs and new except by looking at the box they come in. It's a great way to get a saving IMHO.

The Archangel

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to add to skimonkey's great advice, I have purchased a couple of refurb iPads down the years (as well as some other Apple kit) and it's impossible to tell the difference between the refurbs and new except by looking at the box they come in. It's a great way to get a saving IMHO.

The Archangel

Ditto. My daughters refurbished iPod touch is still cranking even though she's pretty rough with it. I wouldn't hesitate to go refurbished with any apple product. I do wish the prices were a little better on some of the refurbished products though. There are instances where the savings are trivial. Just stick with the best deals. Usually, a couple generation old refurb is your best bet and deal.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The Archangel

...and I do have to say a "Thanks" to you, Gabe for giving me the scoop on these wonderful refurbs! It is a great way to save and still get a fab idevice out of it!! :)

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

Bob327

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad 2 as a refurbished unit sometime last year ...it continues to work perfectly...PLUS I use it !!!

I had no desire to spend the extra money on a new iPad 3 because the Retina display, to my eyes ,honestly was not worth the money and my gosh I have no use at all for the camera in any tablet ..

My only dislike is that its larger then I personally like to carry around ... the mini would be perfect for me...

Bob G

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad 2 as a refurbished unit sometime last year ...it continues to work perfectly...PLUS I use it !!!

I had no desire to spend the extra money on a new iPad 3 because the Retina display, to my eyes ,honestly was not worth the money and my gosh I have no use at all for the camera in any tablet ..

My only dislike is that its larger then I personally like to carry around ... the mini would be perfect for me...

Bob G

The mini is super portable but I bet you'd end up missing the extra screen size now that you are used to the full size iPad.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mini is super portable but I bet you'd end up missing the extra screen size now that you are used to the full size iPad.

I was concerned about that before i bought my Mini but I don't even notice it anymore (and FWIW, I still use my iPad 2 now and again).

The Archangel

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As much as I love my mini, I would still want the full size iPad for the screen size, and I still use my iPad 2 as my main iPad even now! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts