What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying an iPad in the USA...

iKaren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum and delighted to learn there is one dedicated to the iPad!!!

Anyway, I am thinking of getting myself an iPad when I'm in Orlando next week and have a couple of questions. Firstly, should I even bother? I know it's quite a bit cheaper but will there be any problems operating it in the UK?

Secondly, should I just get the Wi-Fi option rather than the Wi-Fi + 3G one? It seems the 3G version would cover all the bases but would it work in the UK..??

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G could probably be jailbroken and used with a SIM for whatever network you have there. As far as the WiFi only model, you wouldn't have any issues.

However, if your iTunes account wasn't USA, you might run into some issues with certain apps like iBooks etc.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum and delighted to learn there is one dedicated to the iPad!!!

Anyway, I am thinking of getting myself an iPad when I'm in Orlando next week and have a couple of questions. Firstly, should I even bother? I know it's quite a bit cheaper but will there be any problems operating it in the UK?

Secondly, should I just get the Wi-Fi option rather than the Wi-Fi + 3G one? It seems the 3G version would cover all the bases but would it work in the UK..??

Thanks in advance for any replies...

3G has been confirmed to work outside the USA. You just install the new sim card and synch to iTunes - it will automatically detect and setup the new card.

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will work flawlessly in the UK.

The iPad also comes SIM unlocked and ALL countries versions have tri-band (global) 3G bands so you can grab a local microSIM and sign up for an iPad plan without any jailbreaking or complications - I believe O2, Orange, 3, and vodafone have iPad plans available in the UK.

I would pick one up if i were you - it's much cheaper and will work just as if you purchased in the UK.

Most reactions