What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a gift for old friend in anursing home

cbgbies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, y'all -- I'm a 76-year-old woman, and recently went to visit an old high school friend, who is bedridden in a nursing home. In spite of being so physically handicapped, she still has a fine mind, and is bored our of her gourd. So four of us old high school friends have decided she desperately needs an iPad, and we want to give one to her. We think a 16GB 1st generation one would be fine, and are trying to decide if we should buy it new, used, or refurbished. And should we get it from the Apple store or from Amazon. None of us has an iPad, so we're pretty confused about what to do next. Any guidance would be wonderful! Thanks!
Carol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, y'all -- I'm a 76-year-old woman, and recently went to visit an old high school friend, who is bedridden in a nursing home. In spite of being so physically handicapped, she still has a fine mind, and is bored our of her gourd. So four of us old high school friends have decided she desperately needs an iPad, and we want to give one to her. We think a 16GB 1st generation one would be fine, and are trying to decide if we should buy it new, used, or refurbished. And should we get it from the Apple store or from Amazon. None of us has an iPad, so we're pretty confused about what to do next. Any guidance would be wonderful! Thanks!
Carol

A first generation iPad would be just fine. I don't suppose she would be using the camera too much unless you think she might want to do video conferencing with her friends. The iPad1 - I have one - is a fine machine and there are some terrific deals on at the moment as the older stock is sold off. Many of our Members have opted for the iPad1 - unless your friend is really into computer games, I doubt whether the additional power of the iPad2 would be noticed.

The real issue you'll face is whether to go for a WiFi-only model or whether your friend will need 3G. Does the nursing home have a WiFi network that the residents can access? If so, then the WiFi model would be just fine. But, if not, then you'd really need to consider a 3G model so your friend would have access to the Internet. Then you'd need to start looking at data plans and mobile service providers; who has the best 'deal' for data and what is their coverage like in the area of the nursing home. Perhaps you have a mobile 'phone and could check the signal level for your service provider next time you visit.

You might need too to check out the nursing home's policy on mobile 'phones and electronic equipment. Some nursing homes have a 'no mobile 'phone' policy because they fear the signals could interfere with sensitive medical equipment. A 3G or even WiFi iPad transmits radio signals, so there might be an issue there. It would be prudent to check this out before spending money on the iPad.

OK - hopefully this has given you a little help to start you off. Please come back with follow-up questions; we're here to help, so don't hesitate to post any concerns or other questions.

The iPad would certainly be a very nice way for your friend to stay occupied and it would open up an entirely new world of interest.

Tim

OP
C

cbgbies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank, Tim

Your quick reply is greatly appreciated. We will follow your suggestions. Thanks!

rai.rsantos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPad is a great idea it's a hub for a lot of media, watching movies, reading books, even magazines. All of these the first iPad can do. Like one of the posters said, unless she wants to play graphics intensive games, she wouldn't need the extra power of the iPad 2. Both iPads comes in 16, 32, and 64gb capacity. With wifi only or 3G. I think the biggest difference it will make is the front facing camera that only the new one has. It might make a lot of diff for someone who is bedridden and still want to talk/see friends and family all from his/her bed.

You guys/gals are great friends for Planning to buy her something thatll keep her sane and busy. :) kudos.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My recommendation is to stick with the refurbished iPad from Apple. The unit will have a warranty the same as new, and less hassle if there is a problem.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If she has family or friends she doesn't get to see much, an iPad 2 might be nice, because you can video call. iPad 1 doesn't have a camera.

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Funny you mention this because the other day I was telling my friend that I think people should buy their elderly parents (especially if they are in old peoples/care homes) a tablet as it can stave off boredom. Tablet computers need not be expensive as you can get good ones now for around £150 or so.

I think all nursing and care homes should set up wifi.

dingster1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did exactly this for my mom. She is 89, in assisted living and I bought her a refurbished iPad1 3g. She loves it! I set everything up under my iTunes, since we like the same music basically, put pics of the grandson and me on there and got her an email address and she is in Heaven! She just called and asked how she get the YouTUbe video of the "Twins Conversation" back!

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Carol

Just remember she (or someone) will need access to a computer and a Itunes account. When the Ipad is first bought it has to be setup/connected with a computer.

Also just like a computer there is not much to do with a basic Ipad just e-mail and surf the web. You have to buy/down load programs for it to be real useful.

Also as others have said for the Ipad to be useful she will need to have internet access, either by wireless or 3G (cell phone data plan).

OP
C

cbgbies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate all your comments! We have hit a snag, in that we had been told the nursing home has Wi-Fi, yet recently, another administrator has said it has been turned off. We really can't afford to pay for her 3G service too, so we're waiting to learn more about this problem with the Wi-Fi. I'm terribly disappointed, as we know she was so excited about it. Thanks very much for all your helpful responses!

Most reactions