What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Build Quality

Ryxsolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a iPad 2 64gb white wifi last week and it was built the 18th week. When I took it out of the box I noticed there a small nick on the top right corner of the aluminum. I also noticed light bleeding.

I took it in to Apple store and they gave me a replacement from a brown box. This replacement was week 12 build date. This one had even worst build quality. There gaps on where the bezel meets the aluminum. The screen was crooked and had light bleeding. There was a scratch on the back on the aluminum.

I took this replacement into another Apple for another replacement. This new replacement came directly from a new unopened retail box with a build week of 18. This one had a small nick on the top right corner of the aluminum and a scratch on the back on the aluminum. The screen still has a little light bleeding but not as bad. I'm just going to keep this one for now and enjoy it and stop stressing out. My Belkin snap shield case hides the cosmetic blemishes on the aluminum.

3 iPad 2s and all had noticeable damage on the aluminum. I find this unacceptable. The LCD light bleeding might not be Apple's fault but LG's.

Does anyone else have quality issues with their iPad 2 cosmetically? Apple Genius told me that they will only replace it once or twice and that if the back light bleeding issue is on this replacement they will not replace it anymore and will issue a refund. The problem is that I purchased my iPad 2 through JandR. I doubt they will issue me a refund, especially now the s/n on the box does not match the s/n on my iPad 2.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you have been extraordinarily unlucky. My iPad, and several of my friends and colleagues, have been perfect in every respect and I've experienced no cosmetic or functional issues whatsoever. From reading Members' comments on iPad Forum I accept that others - it's always difficult to determine the percentage because people usually post to complain and not to say they've had no problems - have had issues too but they've typically been resolved by a replacement. It's not much help, I accept, but I can only suggest that you precisely document the issues that you've had and write to Apple about them.

Tim

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought two new a week and a half ago, both perfect cosmetically and functionally.

Golfnut61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't buy mine...it was a gift, but have no problems with it...love it. I k
now from working in retail, that happy people don't give back input, only unhappy do. So want to add my praise to the negative, all the while hoping those with issues get them resolved so they can enjoy the wonderful IPAD experience!

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No defects at all with either my ipad 1 or the 2. These problems appear to be more prevelant in the USA, although I've seen no stats.

OP
R

Ryxsolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 was perfect. There were no quality issues at all.

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed slight gaps between the silver backing and the front trim. Is that what you are referring to?

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 1 had no issues. ipad 2 has no cosmetic issues but has slight bleeding on the bottom of the screen. only when watching in a dark room or when the screen is on full brightness. doesnt bother me enough to exchange and taking a gamble on getting one that has worse bleeding.

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed slight gaps between the silver backing and the front trim. Is that what you are referring to?

My 1st replacement built in week 12 had this issue.

And they were nice enough to replace it for that reason? Now that's what I call customer service. I am a bit reluctant to do this due the chance of getting one in worse condition in light of how many are saying how they get light bleeding around the edges of the screen. I will call customer service and see what my options are.

OP
R

Ryxsolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My 1st replacement built in week 12 had this issue.

And they were nice enough to replace it for that reason? Now that's what I call customer service. I am a bit reluctant to do this due the chance of getting one in worse condition in light of how many are saying how they get light bleeding around the edges of the screen. I will call customer service and see what my options are.

They replaced it due to backlight bleeding.

Patch adams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine has slight light bleeding from the left edge (in landscape) but I only see it at the start of a movie when the screen is black. I don't want to take it back until the stores are in stock so I'll wait until the year warranty is nearly up and then swap it.
Other than that I think the build quality is great.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a first time apple user after years of PC building/repairing/customizing etc.

I am not totally thrilled with my ipad2 because of some of it's inherent shortcomings (I was hoping it would be a replacement for my PC laptop but it most definitely isn't that), but I have to say I think the build quality is awesome.

Mine has no bleeding whatever and the screen/aluminum etc is perfect.

Most reactions

Latest posts