What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bright spot and dust under screen

Soggy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just noticed a couple of problems on my v1 iPad, one being a few very noticeable particles of dust under the screen, but also more worryingly a couple of bright patches.

The iPad is still under warranty but I wondered if there was anything that could be done about this if I took it into an Apple store? Would they be able to replace the screen or send it off for repair?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it worries you and it's clearly something that's developed over the period that you've had the iPad then, for sure, Apple will replace it - no questions asked. You will be given an exchange unit - it will be refurbished but cosmetically indistinguishable from new and your original warranty will continue - i.e. you won't get another year! But you should make sure that you back up all your data, apps, photos, music, videos etc. You can, of course, download your apps again at no charge, but you are not able to download music and videos again without incurring the full charge.

It's interesting that I've not heard of dust under the screen on the iPad (though I have this problem on my Sony Vaio) however, bright spots - usually indicating defective pixels - have been mentioned in previous posts.

Apple want you to be a satisfied customer - they know how easily their reputation can be lost and so they go the extra mile to ensure this.

Oh - and just to be clear - iPad Forum is not affiliated in any way whatsoever with Apple, it's an entirely independent entity - hey, we sometimes criticise Apple!!

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Soggy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick response. It definitely is something that bothers me, I've only really noticed the dust recently but once you know it's there your eyes are drawn to it!

The bright spots don't look like dead pixels, more like uneven brightness on the screen over a small area, hard to explain but quite noticeable, especially on bright backgrounds.

I've no issues with being given a refurb unit if they do replace it, I know what Apples refurb units are like having bought them before, look like new.

One point though is that I do have a few minor scratches on the screen, will this effect the warranty at all and whether they decide to repair or replace it?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The few scratches shouldn't affect matters at all - Apple have a 'fair wear and tear' policy. The unit you return will be refurbished too and all parts that are damaged in any way or show signs or wear and tear will be replaced. So, no, unless it's clear the unit has been badly mishandled or any failures could be attributed to the handling by the owner of the iPad, they'll not argue.

Let us know how you get on - if you have any problems returning the unit, this is the place to let Apple know how you feel and - I have some friends in Apple......

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Soggy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again Tim, great information.

I do try and keep my kit in pretty good nick, but as this gets used by everyone in the house it's hard for it not to pick up the odd mark here and there, just hope they don't see that as an issue when I take it in.

Hopefully I'll be able to get an appointment this weekend and get it swapped, I will let you know how I get on and if I have any problems.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure it won't be an issue - I have a colleague who dropped his iPad and then returned it for an entirely unrelated failure. He was worried too but the guy at the Apple Shop didn't 'bat an eyelid'. Of course, you won't get an iPad2 so you may have to wait for a refurbished unit to become available - it will depend whether your Apple Store keeps these in stock.

Good Luck and - yes, please - let us know how you get on. Your experiences will be of encouragement to other Forum members with similar problems.

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Soggy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure it won't be an issue - I have a colleague who dropped his iPad and then returned it for an entirely unrelated failure. He was worried too but the guy at the Apple Shop didn't 'bat an eyelid'. Of course, you won't get an iPad2 so you may have to wait for a refurbished unit to become available - it will depend whether your Apple Store keeps these in stock.

Good Luck and - yes, please - let us know how you get on. Your experiences will be of encouragement to other Forum members with similar problems.

Tim
Scotland
Well that's reassuring, doesn't sounds like I should have many problems if any then, fingers crossed. Is there any way to check if they have a refurbised model the same as mine before I go?

One last question, does it matter that it's a US iPad? It's just the wi-fi model not 3G. I might be wrong but I think that the warranties are covered worldwide.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Scotland
Well that's reassuring, doesn't sounds like I should have many problems if any then, fingers crossed. Is there any way to check if they have a refurbised model the same as mine before I go?

One last question, does it matter that it's a US iPad? It's just the wi-fi model not 3G. I might be wrong but I think that the warranties are covered worldwide.

I don't think it should matter. It might be that the Apple Store person is not familiar with the International Warranty procedures and may want to refer it to a manager, but I've not heard of any problems. Of course, take your invoice with you to show when it was purchased.

I guess you could phone the Apple Store to check - sometimes they'll give you a 'repair docket' over the phone as a reference for when you take your iPad in. It's a fluctuating situation at the moment with the iPad2 just having been released.

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dust under my iPhone screen recently appeared but can only be seen in sunlight. It happened after i dropped it :mad:

Take it back and see what they say. Maybe take a flashlight with you so that you can illustrate the issue in the Apple Store. Let us know how you get on. As I advised the other poster, back up anything you have on your iPhone in case they just offer to swap it there-and-then.

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Soggy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Scotland

I don't think it should matter. It might be that the Apple Store person is not familiar with the International Warranty procedures and may want to refer it to a manager, but I've not heard of any problems. Of course, take your invoice with you to show when it was purchased.

I guess you could phone the Apple Store to check - sometimes they'll give you a 'repair docket' over the phone as a reference for when you take your iPad in. It's a fluctuating situation at the moment with the iPad2 just having been released.

Tim
Scotland
Hmm the invoice might be a bit of a problem, I moved house recently and I've managed to mislay a lot of my old paperwork and receipts. I guess I'll just have to chance it and see what they say, hopefully there won't be a problem.

I may give them a call the day before to check, I don't really fancy the trip all the way there only to have to go back to get a replacement as it's a good hour away. Will just have to see how it goes I guess. Thanks again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - definitely worth calling them. Without an invoice they won't be able to tell easily if it's still under warranty.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
The invoice shouldn't be necessary. All Apple needs to determine whether or not the iPad is still under warranty is access to the device itself. They connect the iPad to one of their MacBooks and the software will identify the iPad along with any relevant data (purchase date/place, your name, email, address & telephone no.). This is assuming you bought the iPad with a credit card, if you payed cash, an invoice is necessary.

It is possible that the above procedure does not work for international purchases, as I have only tested them within Scotland (bought an iPad at 3, went to the Apple Store with just the device and got a replacement).

OP
S

Soggy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - definitely worth calling them. Without an invoice they won't be able to tell easily if it's still under warranty.

Tim
Scotland

The invoice shouldn't be necessary. All Apple needs to determine whether or not the iPad is still under warranty is access to the device itself. They connect the iPad to one of their MacBooks and the software will identify the iPad along with any relevant data (purchase date/place, your name, email, address & telephone no.). This is assuming you bought the iPad with a credit card, if you payed cash, an invoice is necessary.

It is possible that the above procedure does not work for international purchases, as I have only tested them within Scotland (bought an iPad at 3, went to the Apple Store with just the device and got a replacement).
Thanks for both your answers, I will probably give them a call to see what they say, but hopefully it won't be an issue.

OP
S

Soggy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I'd just post a quick update on this. Had an appointment at the Genius Bar this weekend to look at the issues on my iPad and they couldn't have been more helpful if they tried.

Took one look at the dust and the bright patches and immediately decided to swap the iPad for a refurbished unit, in and out within 10 minutes! I was very impressed with the guy who dealt with the problem, spotted the bright patches before I even mentioned it.

One note though to anyone who does get a refurb unit, make sure you check it over thoroughly before you leave, I didn't look at mine properly until I got home and noticed a very small scratch on the screen, it's not really noticeable unless you have the screen at a certain angle in the light, but annoying all the same.

Most reactions

Latest posts