What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boaters: iNavX

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just another app recommendation for any boaters out there. I do a lot of boating on the Great Lakes and find this application very useful. I have had the application on my iPhone for a few years and love it, and it can be synchronized with iPhone-iPad-Mac or PC software as well.

This application works best on iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G as it utilizes GPS. You'll need to have an X-Traverse account and puchase the charts that you want, and then you can download them to your iPad, iPhone, and/or Mac/pc. It also automatically updates charts when or if they become available.

The application will automatically open the chart relative to your location, and you can track your route, check water depths, see markers, shoals, etc. You can then export your tracks and waypoints to your X-Traverse account and have all your devices stay in sync.

The total cost can get up there so you'll want to make sure this application is for you. If you are an avid, long distance boater, then I highly recommend it. The application cost is $49.99, the X-Traverse account is $10/year, and to purchase charts it is generally between $50-$100 per set. Like I said, I am a boater out on the Great Lakes constantly in the summer and I make incredible use of this application.

Here's a quick screenshot for anybody curious as to how this looks. This is a shot of a section of Georgain Bay off Lake Huron, issued by the Canadiann Hydrographic Service.

imageyt.jpg

Let me know if anybody else uses this application!

Cheers

Last edited:

USAF_C6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks nice, especially for blue water boaters. Personally I prefer the navionics apps. I have the lakes south app for both my iPad and iPhone and they work great! GPS tracking really comes in handy!

joannw161

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another iNavX user

We just purchased the iNavX to use on the TenTom Waterway...specifically now at Green Turtle Bay in The Land Between the Lakes, KY on Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake.

The iNavX looks to be a great tool to use but we seem to have one problem: It does not locate us on the lake. It places us around 3 mile away when using the Green Turtle Bay WiFi and it places us at our motor home which is 6 miles away when we use our MyFi in our sailboat (Beneteau321 sailboat).

We see many boats coming into the harbor from the Great Lakes area as they do the Loop down to the Gulf, around Florida, up the East Coast and then into the Great Lakes before coming down the waterway to Green Turtle Bay.

Stu and I are just getting into sail boating. I am a novice, however, so have much to learn. Stu's experience in mostly on the East Coast near Washington DC. I find sailing exciting but sometimes nerve wracking! Time will tell. JoAnn

evaleng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problems with iNavx for iPad in Swedish waters

Hi,

I have purchased iNavx for iPad through Itunes store, and Swedish charts from Xtraverse. I have now encountered problems with the updating of the position - when I am navigating the iPad suddenly stops updating my position. If I restart the app it finds my current location after a while, but then never updates again. I have no problems with other GPS-apps, as for example Google Maps, and on my iPhone iNavx works just fine. I have an iPad 32 GB + 3G.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem? It seems to me that the GPS is OK, but that the app maybe requires to much processing capacity or something.

I would be grateful for any help.

BR,

Eva

Most reactions

Latest posts