What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BlackBerry Announces BBM Coming to iOS This Summer

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
12380-blackberry.JPG

BlackBerry today confirmed a rumour that first appeared on Boy Genius Report a while back, and that some might have thought would actually never happen, by announcing that BlackBerry Messenger will be coming to iOS and Android sometime this summer, once it gets approval from Apple and Google. The news caused such a stir that it was trending worldwide today. In a post on the “Inside BlackBerry†blog, BlackBerry outlined its plans for its flagship service, saying,

“We’ve got some exciting news designed to make it easier for you to connect with your entire mobile social network.â€

Basically what this means is that people can connect with their friends and family on BlackBerry Messenger without having to use a BlackBerry to do so. In the announcement, BlackBerry details the key features that users can expect to enjoy once the app is released:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&amp]The immediacy of BBM chats[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Multi-person chats[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Voice note sharing[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]BlackBerry Groups, where BBM users are able to set up groups of up to 30 people and share calendar, photos, files and more[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Speaking at BlackBerry Live 2013, Andrew Brocking, Executive Vice President, Software Product Management and Ecosystem at BlackBerry said, [/FONT]

“For BlackBerry, messaging and collaboration are inseparable from the mobile experience, and the time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service. BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. We’re excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community.â€

[FONT=&amp]BlackBerry says that if and when the BBM app is approved by Apple and Google, it will be released as a free download. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] BBM for iOS and Android to Launch This Summer «Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who still uses a Blackberry...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, apparently, there must be someone using it as this company is still kicking. I have to admit that I had only a positive experience using BB phones, but obivously moved on like everyone else and don't see myself ever going back.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife still has a Blackberry. Looks like her iPhone 5 will turn up just in time for her to talk to herself. Oh, wait. She does that already.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some of my friends still use Blackberry and I think this is a good idea that there will be a BBM to iOS :)

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My experience with BB has been pretty bad. I have a BB Bold 9780 and although the security aspect is robust, probably a little too robust, I have found certain settings are 'unstable' in that they change without any input from me and there is not as good a choice of useful apps available. BB is a good phone system but it just doesn't work for me. I bought mine initially because of the email and internet functions. My daughter, on the other hand, swears by hers and has no intention of changing. Me, I just can't wait for the day I can get my hands on my first iPhone in a couple of months.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My experience with BB has been pretty bad. I have a BB Bold 9780 and although the security aspect is robust, probably a little too robust, I have found certain settings are 'unstable' in that they change without any input from me and there is not as good a choice of useful apps available. BB is a good phone system but it just doesn't work for me. I bought mine initially because of the email and internet functions. My daughter, on the other hand, swears by hers and has no intention of changing. Me, I just can't wait for the day I can get my hands on my first iPhone in a couple of months.

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Hilarious, Kevin! :D Tell her she can talk to Siri as well as herself! I love having a chat with Siri!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hilarious, Kevin! :D Tell her she can talk to Siri as well as herself! I love having a chat with Siri!

Oh, please don't get me started on Siri! Both Siri and I have had enough of listening to two ten-year-olds trying to set each other up on a date with her. I think her last response was "Can't we just be friends?"

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The BlackBerry is still quite popular in South Africa due to the cost of data here.

Sent from my iPad using IPF

Most reactions

Latest posts