What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black screen from Safari ?

gglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have a refurbished ipad1 32gig ios 5.0.
Lately while using Safari, usually 1-3 sites open
On seperate tabs, I often get a sudden black
Screen and then pop to the desktop. If I tap
On the Safari icon the website I was on does
Reload and restart does not seem necessary.

Any ideas on why this happens ? I usually try
To make sure I only have the Aps open that
I am using at the time to cut down on
RAM use.

Appreciate any advice !

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Safari is crashing. Remember, iPad 1 only has 256 MB of ram, and only around 90 MB is left with all apps completely closed.
That can fill up very fast, so if a webpage is too big it might crash the iPad. Also if the website is too... "complicated"... too much going on, it might crash.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best way to resolve this is to double press the home button which will open up the bar at the bottom of the screen, touch and hold any app icon in that bar till they all start to wiggle. Now close apps you don't need by touching the minus sign in the top left of the app icons (including safari). Once done press the home button once which should bring your home screen back and reopen safari. Hopefully this will free up RAM so that you can browse smoothly.

The Archangel

OP
G

gglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I was afraid of that.
Oh well I can easily close Apps but
Must say I don'care much for this
limitation.

Most reactions

Latest posts