What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Birthday calender

JanetS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys on the iPad calendar it has a birthday calendar how do I use it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Add them in the Contacts app.

When editing a contact scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and choose add field. Pick birthday and add one. They automatically show up in the Calendar app.

OP
J

JanetS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Twerppoet you are a very clever man :0)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nah, works the same way on my iMac using the iCal program. I've been using OS X since it was first released, so I ought to know a few of it's tricks by now. ;)

YULDCA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the iPad calendar but how do I get it to send me an alarm or reminder? Thx

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apparently it will only create local alerts. I never noticed that before. It's probably because there is no way for it to start Mail and send one. A limitation of iOS.

I generally create my appointments with email alerts on my computer, or go to the web site of the service and create it there. If you are using Google, you can do this in Safari on the iPad.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Reaction score
YULDCA said:
I am using the iPad calendar but how do I get it to send me an alarm or reminder? Thx

When you set up an event, birthday, etc. there is an option called Alert, it let's you set how long before the event the calendar should notify you. The notification happens through the standard iOS notification system.

If you want to quickly test how the notification will look, go to:
Settings->General->Date&Time->Set Automatically: Off->Set Date&Time->Tap on the date->Scroll the year wheel forward, and the notification will appear.

YULDCA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but that option doesn't work with the birthday calendar. It does work with google calendar which is how I have been doing it and I guess I have to go back to that to get my reminders.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. Did not realize you were talking about the birthday calendar, though I probably should have guessed, based on the thread's subject.

You are right. There is no way to add reminders of any flavor. The birthday calendar is a read only calendar pulled from the Contacts database. To have reminders you would have to add your own calendar (on Google's site since that is what you use) and enter the birthdays manually.

Most reactions