What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big photos in e-mail keep me from deleting that e-mail.

yober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone sent me an e-mail with a bunch of big pics in it and while I can view them OK, I can't delete that e-mail -- Delete crashes the mail app. I've tried deleting after opening and deleting from the list view, to no avail. Anybody have a good workaround?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yober said:
Someone sent me an e-mail with a bunch of big pics in it and while I can view them OK, I can't delete that e-mail -- Delete crashes the mail app. I've tried deleting after opening and deleting from the list view, to no avail. Anybody have a good workaround?

Try this first, do the four finger swipe up or double tap the home button to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night. Now see if you can delete it. Hope it works.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That sounds really frustrating! Have a look at your Mail settings. Settings App > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Email Account > Account > Advanced > Deleted Mailbox. Which "Trash" is it using...the one listed under "On My iPad" or the one under "On the Server"? If it's "On My iPad", change it by tapping "Trash" under "On the Server". See if that doesn't take care of it. If it's the other way around you could try switching them, but the first scenario is probably what's causing the crash. When you're done switch it back to what you want it to be.

If that doesn't work you may be able to access the original email through your provider's website, particularly if it's an IMAP (as opposed to a POP3) account. If you haven't done so, find out how to log into your email account on your provider's website and delete it there. It should eventually sync up to your iPad's Mail account.

If none of that works the last ditch effort is to delete the email account from your iPad and set it back up. Again, depending on what type of account you have, all of the emails on your iPad could be lost that way. If that's going to be the case, and there aren't too many you need to save you could forward them to another email account if you have one...or you can easily set one up (Gmail, etc.).

Hope that helps and others may have some more ideas as well.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

EDIT: Just saw leelai's post...another good suggestion. It may be just a low memory issue.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts