What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best text recognition/OCR app for iPad 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipadtony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 2 (no iPhone) and I want to take pictures of pages from books or newspaper articles, and then convert them to text - like what scanner software can do. This requires an OCR app. Looking at iTunes Store there don't seem to be good OCR apps for iPad. Any suggestions from other readers?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'Perfect OCR' was developed for the iPhone but is compatible with the iPad. However, I suspect that the low-resolution camera on the iPad is going to be the major hurdle that you face. The iPhone has a 5 megapixel camera but the iPad2 rear camera is only 1 megapixel. That will mean significantly lower resolution images and that's bound to affect the accuracy of any OCR process.

So I wouldn't hold any too many hopes for accurage OCR using the iPad2.

Tim

Reaction score
There is another free iPhone app, named 'Image to Text - OCR', which converts images into text. You can take a photo directly from within the app and have it convert it. But the converted text usually needs some fine-tuning, or at least proof-reading, that the text is converted correctly.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As this thread is now quite old.....we will now close this thread

.................THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts