What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best payg sim for ipad and question

stevedb11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am hoping to get a iPad 2 with 3G, which I will mostly use at home using my wifi,as I am new to 3G sims, can anybody tell me if there is a payg sim which does not expire and I can top up when ever I am away from home,also do you have to top up your sim while connected to your wifi, or will a sim with no credit on it connect to 3G so you can top it up when away? Thanks.:)

THeCondor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my ipad2 in January and bought an ipad data sim with 3gb loaded on it at the same time- it cost about £19. Ive since found them for around £12 on a well known auction site. Mine are on 3 who seem to be the popular provider in the UK. The sim card doesn't expire, but the data usage does- the 3gb expires after 3 months, the 1gb after 1 month. You can top up directly from the ipad when on 3g - just switch the wifi off and connect to the provider. You cannot top up if connected by wifi. 3 has a mobile app and you can connect free to check your balance and to top up, even when you have nil balance left. It costs £10 for 1gb access for a further 30 days. However, if you want to save money you can buy a few data preloaded sims from the well known auction site and simply change them as your data expires - much cheaper to pay £12 for 3gb than £10 for 1gb! The sims remain valid even when the data expires though, so you can just top them up if its inconvenient or too fiddly to change them and put new ones in.

Robster2007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One tip.

Three sell a 12Gb twelve month sim for £70.

This is a great solution for me as it gives a good level of data over a 12 month period and is much cheaper than most of the other options.

Also I really like the fact that once the data runs out you don't get hit with unexpected high data usage charges, it just stops and you can buy another one.

Robin

THeCondor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But you could buy 4 of the 3gb sims for half that price online, so it doesn't make sense to buy the 12gb one- i did look at that. You can buy 4 x 3gb for about £45.

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good tips, I have been paying £5 a month for 500mb with Giffgaff. But the '3' SIMs are available for £12.45.
Giving 1GB@£4.15 per month, nice :) Yes, I'm tight ;)

Last edited:

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a month by month rolling contract with 3 mobile for 10GB for £15 per month. Beware of three. First of all they take out £18 per month for a start?? Then I was watching some YouTube videos and went over my 10GB allowance by 300mb this resulted in a £23 charge for data used outside of plan! Shocking scam! But worst of all, besides the Indian call centres where they have no clue other than unplug the dongle and plug it back in approach to everything despite it not having a dongle?? No it's the fact that the service does not work, after two to three months the 3G signal gets manipulated and your connection grinds to a halt and never opens web pages with out lots of refreshing etc I've tried three PC sim dongles and two sims for my pad too and it's the same every time. Google three mobile watchdog and you will see they have been on watchdog for it before and one website selling three dongles got bombarded with over 12,000 post on its comments from people saying avoid it for this very problem I have. I have been stood right near the mast and even now from my bedroom I have always had full signal yet I will have to copy this post first as to avoid losing it when the connection times out or fails to respond again as it commonly does. Does anyone know if the iPad in the uk is locked? I want to change network to get a connection that works, mine came with a three payg sim at first but il try another network if it allows me too. What's the best UK network? Or should I say most reliable and offer more than just a couple of GB data allowance.

Louie7oaks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on Threes One Plan and can't fault it. Unlimited usage through my Galaxy S2 via tethering. It's not particularly cheap, but unbeatable value if you stream a lot of video. I use a cloud service to store my films as I only have a 16gb iPad and then watch them where and when I like.

Most reactions

Latest posts