What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best office Suite?

CryptoMuseum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all: I work with my new iPad while traveling, connected via wifi or cell
modem. I have PCs and use MS Office, Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Also Adobe PDF. I use both iTunes as well as FTP and USB/flash key apps to move files about.
I would like to get just ONE suite, rather than deal with several.
All my Office files are from Office 2007.

Of the several Office Suite apps that claim to be capable of viewing and editing MS office
files, all seem to have mixed/faulty tools for import or export of files to other apps
or to other devices: incapable of the file transfer or loss of format and other
file information.

The top choices: (I am open to others)

Apple's iWork Suite: Pages/Numbers/Keynote
Documents to Go
Quickoffice Pro HD

My usage and file properties for each type of file:

Excel: Edit and read spreadsheets with just summation or add/sub/mult formulas, no macros, but some have charts.

Word: Edit and read simple docs without fancy formatting or complex images. Example: Do a text edit and insert a signature image.

PPT: Take an existing PPT, move or drop slides. Most have a lot of images, and can be 50..100 slides and sizes to 30 Megs.

I need to easily move files in and out of the app, e.g. from/to email attachment or via FTP using iPad FTP apps. Most files will be on USB or flash cards or sent via email

I do not want to waste time or $, any reviews or user experiences with these apps will be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jon
Crypto-Museum

PS: As a 30 yr MS/Windows user, with no MACs, only iPad3 and iPhone, I am most uncomfortable with the Apple closed system's attempt to prevent you from having the freedom to move, access and manipulate your own files. Any app that makes the file management process it easier or more transparent has my vote.

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat as you. I've read reviews and watched review on YouTube, and can't make up my mind as to which one is truly the best overall Office suite. I don't have an issue with spending up to $20 for such an app, but I want to spend it on the RIGHT ONE and just once.

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I bought all the app mentioned and my favorites are the individual iWorks apps.

I heavily use keynote. I prepare ppt files on my PC and import the files either via dropbox or via Goodreader (for file management) into keynote where I add audio or video content.
I especially tested DTG and QO HD for ppt usage but I found that both failed for me as far as slide handling or faulty imports are concerned.

I tested all of them for word processing and calculations, and here again I would go for pages and numbers, but as I do not heavily use these apps on the iPad I don't consider my evaluation as good enough to give advise to you.

Hope this helps.

Knut

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For editing Excel and Word, I use CloudOn, just save your files to iCloud and then use CloudOn to view/edit them.

dana123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! Yes ipad is really helpful device to run our activities while doing other works.I also use i pad while driving car and walking through .

whicky1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently using QuickOffice HD because it allows me to organize my files into folders and hide them so I can maintain the confidentiality of my clients. I also am using notability for the same purpose (its my inking tool). In my job I go to peoples homes and my Ipad is a tool to take notes.

Coach p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that MS is in the process of making an Office App that is due out this fall. Hopefully this will be whateveryone is looking for.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It seems that MS is in the process of making an Office App that is due out this fall. Hopefully this will be whateveryone is looking for.

That would be great, but meanwhile - after their "Surface" surfaced - I am not that much positiv about a MS Office App on the iPad.
What do you think?

Knut

Mellow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does one gain by getting iworks vs each app individually?

Most reactions

Latest posts