What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best office app?

Nathos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an office app. I'e seen a few around but not sure of their pros and cons. I'm willing to pay so I don't want to get all of them, just what's best for me - which I hope to discover with you all.
Thanks in advance.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No Office app is fully featured. So if you want basic features, most of them are good, the best few are Quickoffice Pro HD, Documents2go, and many like to get the Numbers/Pages/Keynote apps from Apple. I'm sure you'll get plenty of other suggestions, so I recommend reading the reviews on the App Store and look at the descriptions to see what features each has.

Some have cloud storage compatibility and most open native MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint files in some way.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You may as well add Office HD and Polaris Office to your research list.

If you want the full Office suite and don't mind a touch enabled desktop UI (as apposed to a native tablet UI) and being tied to a good internet connection take a look at CloudOn and OnLive.

I personally use the iWorks suite; Pages, Numbers, Keynote.

OP
N

Nathos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking at a suite with as much as can be packed in. So far, I'm looking at the iWorks suite but my only issue is WebDav. I'm not an iCloud user, much preferring Google Drive for my needs. DAV-pocket seems to be the solution, thought what are your thoughts? Polaris seems pretty new to the game and quite intuitive. A lot of them don't properly support the basics of insert images into "word" and"powerpoint" and manipulating them, as an example of my needs. Cloud and iOS/Windows cross-compatibility is a big major for me. I don't mind knowing what you all use and why :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another user was having some problems with DAV-pocket a week or so ago. I'm not certain how it worked out, but I believe they decided to use Box.com through WebDAV. I prefer the Box.com service for iWorks myself, though with the recent update to the iWorks apps on iOS 6 DropBox is now usable.

At this time Google Drive and iWorks aren't good matches. The Google Drive app does not recognize the iWorks native file types which makes it impossible to pass files directly through the app, as can be done with both DropBox and Box.com.

While iWorks does a pretty good job of importing and exporting Office file types, it degrades badly if you keep passing them back and forth. The other apps offer less control over you document on the iPad but tend to be less accumulative error wise, probably because they don't' actually convert the file.

Nothing, short of the CloudOn and OnLive solutions offer 100% compatibility.

In the other apps, advanced features like scripting and pivot tables are not supported. But, if the documents are basic, just about any of the mentioned apps will do the job.

And that's about all I know about it; mostly from reading reviews and what's been said here.

OP
N

Nathos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't mind using Box or even DropBox. How bad is the degrading and what occurs?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't do it, so I can't really say how bad it is. I've always had a pretty good experience importing or exporting files, but I only do it once; to get the file to one environment from the other. Used this way most reviews class the iWorks apps among the best.

The problem happens when you keep passing the documents back and forth. Because you are basically translating the documents from one formatting language to another, errors accumulate. It's a lot like using a translation program. The fist time you translate something, it is usually understandable, maybe even a good , but if you keep passing the phrase back and forth it just keeps getting further and further away from the original, until it is nonsense. In the case of a text document it won't have much affect on the actual content (the text), but it can play havoc with the formatting.

So, if you're going to need to edit the documents on more than one place, you want to keep the language (file type) the same. That does not mean you won't get any errors, but it should help to keep them to a minimum.

Mostly it is going to depend on what you actually do with your documents. The most powerful feature rich tool isn't always the best choice for a job.

OP
N

Nathos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if I was to have duplicates of the files incase I reach the point of corruption? What about leaving the file in the cloud? Hmm, now a bit more interested in QuickOffice Pro HD :)

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im using quickoffice pro hd so far no problem and if you used to microsoft product then just wait till the beginning of the year for office 2013 for ios i think it should be awesome features :thumbs:

OP
N

Nathos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I sure would back them up.

I heard it was coming end of November. But I don't know if I should wait; it might turn out to be bad and I do need an app about now. I can't expect it to be a clone of the desktop version but how restricted could it be? Like the current Office Web Apps?

OP
N

Nathos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't 2gb quite small? Many other reputable services offer more.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nathos said:
Isn't 2gb quite small? Many other reputable services offer more.

I have we'll over 3Gb (close to 4) just by a handful of referrals and linking Dropbox to a few other services. I think you could get well over 5gb without much effort (for free).

As with other services, you can buy larger storage. And, I can I confirm Dropbox is very reputable.

Most reactions