What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best leather-folios or rather best-leather folios

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
I hate the PU or whatever faux leather stuff. I am fine with my silicone skin, but if I buy a leather folio I want leather and good leather, not cheap leather with a bad smell like I often read in reviews.

So which folios/cases have the best leather? I am looking for iPad 2 but if there are especially good iPad 1 cases those companies might offer good iPad 2 stuff now or later.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kukulcan said:
So which folios/cases have the best leather? I am looking for iPad 2 but if there are especially good iPad 1 cases those companies might offer good iPad 2 stuff now or later.

Not sure what you mean exactly by 'best leather', but for iPad 1 it would have been Oberon Design for me. However, they cut some corners on their iPad 2 cases by not having the rear camera port (instant design fail for me) and built-in magnetic activation, which is a letdown given their usual high level of quality. They also offer iPad sleeves with the same hot-stamped leather design.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, stay away from the Yoobao (Pyrus on Amazon -- it comes in a Yoobao box).

The smell just about knocked me off of my feet.

Will have to figure out a way to destink this.

Titanium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad1...

I really loved the Saddleback and after weeks of searching it came down to that one, the Oberon and the Bookbook. I love the look of all all 3 and really had a hard time deciding.

I ended up going with the Oberon because I wanted a fold type that didn't add a lot of bulk, plus I loved the Tree Of Life design. I am super happy with it.

I was afraid the Saddleback would be a bit bulky for me because I am really small, but I love the rugged look of it and their marketing is great, I almost bought it on that alone because those guys are funny.

I love the Bookbook because it conceals what you are carrying and zips it up nice and neat. If I traveled a lot I would get it, but for everyday use around the house I didn't want to mess with the zipper.

I saw a brown leather Targus at Best Best that I also liked a lot and it was only $19.99, for the price you can't beat that one for a knock around case.

Good luck on deciding, it is hard!

Stuartjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some expensive leather iPad 2 cases on JW Hulme's website if money is no object. One of them is a folio style and another has a leather smart cover built in.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pingles said:

Revision 2 of this case now shipping does not have this issue. Also, for the rev 1 which smells, just air it for a couple of days and the smell goes.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pingles said:

Yoobao is not genuine leather. It is made from bonded polyurethane leather, which is a cheap synthetic substitute, hence its ridiculously low price and (when you start using it) lack of durability. Because polyurethane is a type of thermoplastic made from petroleum, that's probably where the bad smell comes from.

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Fine Corinthian Pleather!" :)

I am also considering Oberon. I had one on my Kindle, but I sold it when I went with :ipad-front:.

Now I miss my Tree of Life, but choking a bit on the $130. I doubt I could convince my wife that it is a good investment.

I have a Marware EcoVue now and it is ok, but not very durable on the inside. The outside is fine, but the suede-ish inside shows wear from handling after only a couple months. It peels away from the frame it sits on. They already sent me one replacement, but I don't want another of the same thing again.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I bought this one in Brown from Amazon, and will be sending it back this week. I knew the price had to be too good to be true. I've had it for a few days and the smell is still bad.

Most reactions

Latest posts