What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best keyboard for Ipad2

luvbugipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not that thrilled with the virtual keyboard would like to purchase a keyboard for my new Ipad2 16 g wifi and has updated to 5.0 OS thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a number of threads in the Forum on iPad keyboards - search for Bluetooth keyboards and see Member's comments.

I use a folding Bluetooth keyboard that's very small and portable - an ideal companion.

It's the Freedom iConnex and it's available from Amazon. It has several dedicated iPad buttons on the keyboard - for example Home and a button for extending or retracting the virtual keyboard.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The most popular bluetooth keyboard (judging from nothing more than posts on forums like this) is probably the Apple Wireless Keyboard which sells for between $60-$70 from Apple or Amazon. It's a very good near full size keyboard. Logitech also makes several keyboards that work well with the iPad. One model includes a case for the keyboard that unfolds to provide a stand for the iPad. This is essentially the same design as the Incase Origami Workstation which is used in conjunction with the Apple Wireless Keyboard. The Logitech combo is somewhat less expensive than the Origami Workstation/Apple Wireless Keyboard. I have the Origami Workstation/Apple Wireless Keyboard combo and like it very much. But if I were buying a keyboard today I might well consider the Logitech "solo" which provides much the same functionality/design for about $30 less.

Still another option is the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable Keyboard. It's considerably less expensive (about $35 on Amazon) and in some ways (e.g. ergonomics) is superior to the Apple Wireless Keyboard. (I have both.) Where it doesn't quite measure up is in terms of the stand provided by the Origami Workstation and Logitech "solo" versions. You may want to add a separate stand such as the Blade Adjust from Belkin if you go this route.

All of the options above provide a near full size keyboard with very good "action." The other approach is a combination iPad/keyboard case that keeps the two pieces together more or less permanently. The Zaggmate is probably the most popular of these. The risk with that approach is that the keyboard is likely to feel cramped if you're used to a full-size keyboard because the case designed to fit the iPad constrains the size of the keyboard. In addition, if you're very picky about the "feel" of a keyboard (I am), you may find that keyboards that come in a combo iPad/keyboard case don't measure up. That, of course, is a personal preference.

Last edited:

mike.james

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would recommend the one from apple, I tested 3 bt keyboard from third parties. All of em got broke after using it for a month.

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed. I have the Apple wireless keyboard and it's great.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple mini BT key board wins every time. I don't like to add devices to the IPad however this key board is an exception . I also use this keyboard when I e mail, text and make notes on my iPhone . the design is exceptional.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would recommend the one from apple, I tested 3 bt keyboard from third parties. All of em got broke after using it for a month.

That's not at all uncommon. That's why I'd recommend sticking with Apple, Logitech, or Microsoft. I'm sure there are more obscure third party keyboards that work quite well and manage to maintain their durability over an extended period. But the fact is that a keyboard has more moving parts than any other single part of these systems. Almost all keyboards work well for a few weeks or months but banging on keys repeatedly requires a good design and good materials. That's where the quality of a keyboard shows.

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I too agree with most of the above posts regarding the Apple BT Keyboard. I own two and my Brother just bought one too, he types a lot and so far he's satisfied.

Do a search here and on Google for Blue Tooth keyboards. Here is a review I found helpful when I first was looking for a BT keyboard

Blog link removed - please read the forum rules

I found unless one needs the absolute portability of a folding keyboard (I almost bought the $99 one that Apple sells) . . . It looks to me what ever you spend is only going to be a waste of money as (just like another poster has said) the moving parts and cheaper construction are sure to break down the road, so your initial dollar outlay is going to cost more than Apple's once you need to buy another keyboard again.

I also read many of the other keyboards have slushy cheap feel to the keys (especially the rubberized one's). The Apple BT keyboard keys have a solid snappy springy feel to them. They are flat in shape (to save on height space) not contoured like full sized keyboards are. This unique design of aluminum and plastic keeps the form factor amazingly thin.

One buys Apple products because they know Apple does not cut corners with their build quality so I have grown to expect to pay a premium price for their products. You really do get what you pay for and this keyboard is no exception. It's of a beautiful design and in my opinion its well worth the $69. It feels like a full size keyboard, yet since its only slightly wider than the iPad is when used in the landscape position, it fits snugly into my Targus messenger iPad bag for travel.

If you get one, post back here to see if you agree with some of the posts in this thread!

Just changed the original two AA batteries yesterday, so I got about 6 weeks plus (but I'm not a heavy typing user). I'll probably pick up a couple of AA rechargeables since I already have a charger from an old camera. But it's probably around $10 for a charger and two name brand batteries in Walmart etc.

Edited by Moderator - Gabriel1

Last edited by a moderator:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As noted in a post above, I have both the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable keyboard. I certainly agree that the AWK is an excellent keyboard. But I have to say that the only advantage it has over the Microsoft model is that it can be fitted with the Incase Origami Workstation to provide a stand for the iPad. (That's not insignificant and it's the reason I have the AWK.) Otherwise though, the Microsoft is more ergonomic (curved design to prevent wrist cramps), has keys even closer in size to a standard keyboard, is comparable in terms of low battery use, and is very, very durable. (I've used mine for over two years with my laptop and traveled probably 100K miles.) Although the Microsoft keyboard is a bit wider than the AWK, in some ways it's easier to pack since it doesn't have the built-in raised "barrel" of the AWK. It fits easily along with the iPad and other stuff in my small messenger bag from Timbuk2. Finally, of course, it's half the price of the Apple Wireless keyboard.

IMO you can't go wrong with either the Apple Wireless Keyboard or the Microsoft 6000 portable bluetooth keyboard.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you tell me how wide/long the AWK is. I wonder if it will fit in my stow bag. I hate to drive 40 mi to nearest apple retailer (Best Buy) only to find it is too big for my needs. Also, have any of you tried the MIC WK/case? I'm tempted on that one.

Cheers, Dan

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you tell me how wide/long the AWK is. I wonder if it will fit in my stow bag. I hate to drive 40 mi to nearest apple retailer (Best Buy) only to find it is too big for my needs. Also, have any of you tried the MIC WK/case? I'm tempted on that one.

Cheers, Dan

Dimensions of the Apple Wireless Keyboard

Dimensions: 1.4" H x 12.8" W x 7.3" D

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After 6 months, I'm finally getting used to the iPad virtual keyboard although I do use the Apple BT keyboard for extensive writing.

The keyboard in the Origami Workstation is becoming a size issue. It is the bulkiest item in my constantly expanding briefcase.

I've read some of the forum posts about the folding keyboards but I'm also interested in laser virtual keyboards because of the size of the device and the fact that the keyboard is standard size. Has anyone tried any laser virtual keyboards?

iPf.DC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those that are still in search of a keyboard, CVS has a Craig case with Bluetooth keyboard for $29.99. Downside is that the sale ends tonight.

Attachments

• image-1572820755.png
    image-1572820755.png
    469.5 KB · Views: 341

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPf.DC said:
For those that are still in search of a keyboard, CVS has a Craig case with Bluetooth keyboard for $29.99. Downside is that the sale ends tonight.

Wow that's cheap!!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts