What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best ipad software for Stock market monitoring

viperviper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking for the 'BEST' software for monitoring of Stock market, US market, or even world wide market, ability to do charting offline with downloads, tracking portfolio and triggering stock alert, real time market news, company news and etc.. anyone can recommend, pls. tks!

Last edited:

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum viperviper. I'm curious to see what people recommend. I'm looking for the same thing.

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure if these are the best, but I'm using Bloomberg and E*Trade Mobile Pro for iPad. I use these on my iPhone as well and the iPad versions take advantage of the bigger screen.

E*Trade has some nice features using the larger screen. Top has multiple little windows and bottom is about half the screen - you can swipe to flip through your stock list vs watch lists on the bottom. Selecting an individual stock/fund will update little screens on the top which give you the detailed quote and chart (1day, 5 day, 1 month, 3 month, etc.) The cool thing is that as you touch a stock on the bottom, the quote and charts update instantly, so its very quick to get the detailed quote and chart view with 1 finger press and you can switch very fast to get updates on all in your portfolio or watch list. No offline, no downloading. But you do have real time market news, alerts, and CNBC Video (if you are a pro subscriber). Trading, however, seems to be much better on the iPhone, especially when you are changing an existing order.

Bloomberg does quotes, charts, news without an account and was rewritten for iPad. It handles some International quotes, but I have not looked at foreign stocks very much.

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure others can share more about other apps. By-the-way, if the iPad app is not fully featured, you can still go back to the Web browser method and access like you were on a laptop.

Cooldoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need iPad to display stock charts with technical analysis (SMA, MACD etc) from yahoo.com or google.com finance. I have an iPad 3G, jailbroke and Cydia installed. I also installed frash. But stock charts from google or yahoo finance pages don't show properly (stock curves don't show). Now it's worse than before. Before, yahoo or google will display stock curves, but not SMA or other technical analysis tools. Now it displays nothing. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this issue? The flash ads work, however.

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try CNBC.com. Works great on Safari and Atomic, SMA and MACD. Look up your SYM and click on "Advanced Charts."

Last edited:

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to investing and I only have a few stocks. I'm looking for a simple app that uses the full screen of my ipad to show the total value of my investments in real time, the performance of each stock, and trends in the market overall, along with trends by sector (ie commodities)

what app is best for a beginner like me? too many features could overwhelm me.

I like the idea, however, of being able to get an alert or email triggered by prices falling or rising to a certian point.

I guess I could get e-trade... but do you need to use e-trade to buy? My husband works in finance and buys my stocks for me...

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still having some trouble with this piece of the puzzle, I may just download a few apps... And report back.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using bloomberg. I like it a lot. It was easy to set up, but I can tell there are lots of features there when I'm ready for them.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using bloomberg. I like it a lot. It was easy to set up, but I can tell there are lots of features there when I'm ready for them.

Yeah unfortunately, like you, I like to research stocks at yahoo and other sites. Pretty much a universal fail rate when it comes to seeing charts. Come on Apple, join the 21st century!

Mizuno Junky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Daily Stocks or Market Scan? $20 apps but curious if they provide anything superior to Bloomberg or eTrade or any other free app? Thanks.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bloomberg is working great for me... But I wish I could look at historic commodities data... Like the past five years... I cant seem to find and good software for that...

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Daily Stocks or Market Scan? $20 apps but curious if they provide anything superior to Bloomberg or eTrade or any other free app? Thanks.

Very different animals.....don't know about the eTrade app but Bloomberg doesn't provide any technical analysis. Daily Stocks is full of chart scanning options. I think Stock Signals is better Daily Stocks as it will alert you to buy and sell signals, including those in your watch list, along with good technical analysis options. Don't know anything about Market Scan. For ETFs, I'd recommend Daily ETFs which is the ETF verysion of Daily Stocks. Stock Guru is also a slick app that uses a scoring system (akin to what Investor's Business Daily does) to rate stocks. For portfolio tracking I use Stock Watch. Bloomberg is really a very basic app that doesn't tell you much IMO.

Most reactions