What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best File Sharing, File Browser, SMB Share app?

iGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far I've run across -

File Browser -
Good Reader -
SMB Lite -
ez Share -
NetPortal -

...and random others - are there any comparisons going out there? Recommendations?

I have SMB network media drives (can actually stream over WLAN using PogoPlug) - but would like more open access - without Pogoplug - as well as being able to transparently open/close/read/write files to my Mac desktop and shared folders/drives as well.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ive been liking DropBox. Works great, you get 2 GB free storage, syncing is quick and easy. Good working app too - it lets you view any docs and images you have on your system. Not sure if it has every feature you need though. Check them out and see.

Banquish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try box.net

Youll get 50gb free (max file size is 1gb i think) for life
This is a promotion though so hurry and sign up, ive been using it and love it
Its similar ro drop box but its a little more polished

OP
iGirl

iGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive been liking DropBox. Works great, you get 2 GB free storage, syncing is quick and easy. Good working app too - it lets you view any docs and images you have on your system. Not sure if it has every feature you need though. Check them out and see.

Hmm that sounds different that what I've been doing with Dropbox for years - syncing files online between two (or more) boxes. I don't see where there is a full remote media/file browser built in from the iPad side? AFAIK it sees only shared files or folders ONLY, as uploaded from the source.

I have 12TB of storage total with any one given media drive being just 2TB. 2GB isn't worth anything really. Great for syncing bookmarks and a limited work files etc. and that's about it. Of course you can PAY them to get more - but all I'm asking to do is access stuff on my network in my own location! Not backup to "the cloud". I am building MY OWN FREE personal cloud with 12TB on it. LOL Well OK, not really quite that extreme. Full WLAN access to the entire local network (including SMB shares) is all I want - ala - Bonjour in OSX!

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FileBrowser gets my vote, for accessing files on your own storage systems, such are 80 GB worth of photos on my NAS.

GoodReader is very good for storing and managing PDFs on the iPad.

babat78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using gomeetnow.com file sharing services. It is easy to use and provides file sharing between MAC and Windows computers.

Shanghaiuser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread should be kept alive. Cloud is great for convenience, and also great if you want to submit your life in more ways to big data. While there's no getting around that in general, there's no point giving cloud companies a key to your front door while there's still a choice.

I'll try File Browser to start, with the intention of SMB sync to my local NAS files, and will compare it with some great apps I use on the on Android platform that auto syncs local folders on a schedule so I have my latest files on my phone...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure why people are suggesting cloud solutions when you are liking for a file browser for networked stores. I use FileExplorer. I cannot say it is the best, because I have not tested all of them. But it seems to work well in most cases. Supports various clouds and lets me rummage around all of my networked drives and PCs. For example, I can view jpegs and raw camera files stored on my PC. One thing you have ot remember to do is to clear is cache, as it will eat up your space. Just last night I had only 2GB left on my mini...turns out FileExplorer was hogging up 9GB...and these came from files I had browsed, not filed I had downloaded. The app developer seems very responsive, which IMO, is very important for any app.

Most reactions