What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best combination case/stand and wireless keyboard?

diannenet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.speedyspetparadise.weebly.com
But which, in your opinion is the best combination case/stand and wireless keyboard? I am looking for one that I can use together or just as a stand and prefer it has the 'sleep' mode when cover is shut. I have read most of the threads but not being the most computer literate person, i would like opinions from the experts. I would like to spend $100 or less. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Padeasel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the iPad, consider the Bweasel iPad stand and most any soft sleeve. The Bweasel attaches to your iPad and travels with it wherever you go. The Bweasel serves as a good stand for charging with the standard charging power components supplied by Apple so there is no need to spend additional money for a dock. The Bweasel also supports the iPad while using a keyboard. A Bweasel and sleeve should cost less than $50.

A Bweasel for the iPad 2 is expected to be available for purchase and delivery later this week. We will be working on the web site this week and lowering the price of the Bweasel for the iPad 1 to $24.99 and pricing the Bweasel for the iPad 2 at an introductory price of $24.99 as well for the first 30 days. After the 30 day introductory price, the Bweasel for the Pad 2 will revert to $29.95. Shipping of either stand is free to US addresses.
Bweasel, Stands for Mobile Electronic Devices

Last edited by a moderator:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diane,

The issue is not one of "computer literacy." Rather, it's related to your preferences in terms of keyboards and convenience, weight, etc.

The Zaggmate/Logitech combo case and keyboard has many fans. It provides complete protection for your iPad with a built-in keyboard and a metal case. On the other hand, some people complain about the edge surrounding the keyboard interfering with typing and there have been some complaints about the overall quality of the units.

Brookstone offers a folio case, again with a built-in keyboard. And Kensington has a similar folio case available on Amazon for a lower price. These options, too, are combination cases that keep the iPad and the keyboard together at all times.

If you're very picky about the quality of a keyboard (and do a lot of typing), you might prefer the Apple Wireless Keyboard combined with the Incase Origami Workstation. This option provides only a case for the keyboard and a stand that holds the iPad when the case is "unfolded." I prefer this alternative, but it means I have to have a bag to hold both the iPad and the keyboard case and that may exceed your budget. On the other hand, it enables me to use the iPad with or without the keyboard and to use the SmartCover I already have.

Other options are similar in combining a case/stand for the iPad with a separate keyboard. Some people like the relatively inexpensive "foldable" keyboards for their portability. IMO the durability and quality of the keyboard is suspect in that approach. And again, you'll need a bag/case to hold both the iPad and the keyboard. (Joby makes a very nice case for the iPad that raises it for easy viewing/typing (the Ori) but you'll have to get a separate keyboard.

You can also use a Microsoft 6000 mobile keyboard with the iPad. IMO it's the best keyboard available if you're a serious typist. It's cheaper than the Apple Wireless keyboard and has a separate number pad that the Apple keyboard lacks. Again, though, you'll need a bag/case and a separate stand for the iPad.

A final note. What may have led you to believe that being "computer literate" is somehow important in deciding what to choose is the issue of "bluetooth" connectivity. Don't despair. Bluetooth is simply a short-range radio connection that enables the iPad to recognize and respond to a keyboard (and other peripherals) wirelessly. Initially (and occasionally thereafter) you have to "pair" the iPad with your keyboard. This is a simple procedure with all of these devices and unless you choose some very obscure keyboard, you should have no trouble linking the keyboard and the iPad.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried several, and also settled on the Incase and Apple keyboard.

I used the Brookstone one, and didn't care for it. The case and keyboard were awesome, and I loved the ipad specific buttons and chargeable battery, but didn't like the case layout. It only supports landscape mode. The ipad fits into the case, making it more difficult to get in and out for hand held use. It's fairly thick. It didn't sit well on my lap. The keyboard is attached, unless you take the iphone out, so it really doesn't fold back to hold in your hand.

The Zaggmate was better for functionality. It supports landscape and portrait and has a rechargeable battery. It's easy to remove for handheld use. I didn't like the case. I felt the Ghost Armor was going to peel up eventually from using the case. The ipad stand felt like it was going to break. I didn't feel like the ipad was secure in the case. The keyboard wasn't as comfortable for me.

The Incase is an ipad stand, and a keyboard case. I prefer the Apple keyboard, even though it doesn't have a home button that I could find. I can easily continue to use my smart cover. It sits well on my lap. The keys are separated and easy to use. Unfortunately, I have to carry the keyboard and ipad independently, but that hasn't proven to be a big deal since they both go in my bag. I don't use the keyboard as often as I just use the ipad as a hand held device, so this arrangement works perfectly for me.

I hope this helps, and saves you from buying a bunch of cases like I did.

Djrich1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought the Joby GorillaMobile yogi which in my opinion is awesome for viewing. The Joby Ori looks really innovative since it is a full case with an integrated stand. Both products just got released Friday and are shipping today. Google them to see their full capabilities. Oh, the Ori uses the smart cover technology.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried several, and also settled on the Incase and Apple keyboard...

The Incase is an ipad stand, and a keyboard case. I prefer the Apple keyboard, even though it doesn't have a home button that I could find. I can easily continue to use my smart cover. It sits well on my lap. The keys are separated and easy to use. Unfortunately, I have to carry the keyboard and ipad independently, but that hasn't proven to be a big deal since they both go in my bag. I don't use the keyboard as often as I just use the ipad as a hand held device, so this arrangement works perfectly for me.

I hope this helps, and saves you from buying a bunch of cases like I did.

As my response above implies, that's my solution, as well. I, too, like the Apple keyboard though the Microsoft 6000 Mobile keyboard is superior in several ways, I think. The Incase "Origami Workstation," though oddly named, is an excellent solution for those who want to combine the iPad with a SmartCover and back protection with the Apple keyboard.

As far as bags are concerned, I use two.

() The Timbuk2 Freestyle Small Messenger bag is highly functional and very durable. I originally got one on sale for about $35 for a netbook I have. Unfortunately, the interior sleeve was not quite large enough for the 11 inch netbook. Fortunately, it turned out to be perfect for the iPad 2. Holds the iPad, the Incase keyboard case, accessories like headphones, cables, etc. and can even carry a water bottle. Runs about $50-$60 on Amazon at the present time depending on the color combination you choose.

This would also work with other stand/keyboard combinations such as the Microsoft 6000 mobile keyboard and the Joby stand.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Freestyle-Gunmetal-Cement-X-Small/dp/B003R2MNWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307975813&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Timbuk2 Freestyle iPad/iPad2 Messenger Bag: Clothing[/ame]

() When I travel on business I use a Travel Express case from Waterfield Designs that fits in my Cargo bag (along with my 15" laptop) from the same folks. Again, very durable, good looking, and professional. Holds the iPad and the Incase keboard cover/stand along with essential accessories and looks better in a corporate environment than the Timbuk2. Relatively expensive but I've had a number of products from the Waterfield folks and their stuff looks great and literally never wears out. (half a million travel miles on the Cargo bag and five years and it still looks brand new.)

iPad Travel Express - SFBags - WaterField Designs - iPad 2

Most reactions

Latest posts