What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Buy Ipad Sale

bdullea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To all, just thought I tell you my story, saw the ad for the sunday sale of Ipads on the front of the forum. I was sceptical but I do not live to far from a best buy so I thought what the heck, I would give it a try, went to the best buy Sunday at 9:15am store opens at 10 and I was the second person there, at about 5 minutes till 10 the store manager came out with a list of ipad 2 they had for sale (they had 20), he went down the line and you filled in your name next to the one you wanted. They had mostly 64G Wifi/3G models, I did get my 32 WIFI only I wanted except they only had white, prefer black but not a bid issue. So I don't know if I was just luckly or the supply has no finally caught up to demand. There were only 10 people in line so there were still some left, again all 64 WIFI/3G models, I was surprised they had no 16G models at all, did not want one anyway but I thought if anything that would be all they had. Got my new Ipad 2, selling my Ipad 1 to a friend so all is good, in apple land, not a bad apple in the bunch (ok bad pun sorry).

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went to my local Best Buy and the only thing they were doing was taking orders for anyone that wanted one.

OP
B

bdullea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry to hear that like I said maybe I got luckly, live in southern California and went to a small local best buy not the typical giant ones I am used to on the east coast. There is also an apple store right near by and I heard a few people in line saying they went there first thinking apple would have them as well, no such luck, sorry to here no Ipad 2 for you

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The marketing people at Best Buy are seriously overpaid if having a couple devices at each store of something that was released last month is "an EVENT". At least throw in a free bag of skittles for the lucky buyers. I was lucky enough to buy mine last week during the non-event. Keep checking BB and Target trackers. They actually pop up in small quantities pretty often. And I'm in S Carolina!

Last edited:
OP
B

bdullea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a great fan of Best Buy and some of there sales tactics, but like I said this was on a whim and it paid off, would not have stopped if there were a bunch of people already in line. I was going to just order from apple like I did for my Ipad 1, but this worked, in the words of Ren and Stimpy "happy happy joy joy".

tom03087

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy does not come through

I went to my local Best Buy an hour before opening. I was the first in line. By the time the store was ready to open there were about 20 of us. Just before opening an employee came out and said they did not get any IPAD2 at this store. When asked about reserving one we were told they were not taking any new reservations :mad:

drpotter2807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to my local Best Buy an hour before opening. I was the first in line. By the time the store was ready to open there were about 20 of us. Just before opening an employee came out and said they did not get any IPAD2 at this store. When asked about reserving one we were told they were not taking any new reservations :mad:

THAT stinks!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At least you got the ad. My paper forgot to put that ad section in. Best Buys are like may big box stores, they have good and bad ones. Mine is one of the new smaller stores they are going to, and it is pretty good. Other than the Verizon and AT&T stores, it is the only place to get Apple products for 60 miles. Many of the stores are having trouble competing in some areas. The age of the megastore is dying, and people are moving to smaller, local stores.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I like BestBuy, never had an issue with them. I went there on iPad 2 launch day because the Apple store is in the mall and I knew it would be a mad house and the lines would be a nightmare. I got to BestBuy at 4pm I was about #80 in line. I almost got out of line as I didn't think there was any way they got that many iPads based on what I had been reading about stores over on the east coast (I'm in Seattle) but figured they would start handing out tickets in about 30 minutes so I'd just wait and see. The store ended up getting about 120 units and I ended up getting the 64GB wifi black which was what I wanted... glad I didn't get out of line! Also they really thought things through and as they ran out of tickets for certain models an employee would walk down the line and announce to people which model they ran out of so they could get out of line if that was the only one they were considering. Once you went into the store they set up 3 extra cashiers in the front for wifi/3g models and in the back of the store they set up another 3 cashiers for wifi only models. This sped things up and it didn't interfere with their other daily customers. Everyone was very friendly; managers and employees would come around and talk with us and we were joking around. A few of us complimented them on how well they planned this out as it could have been a complete disaster. All in all it was a great experience.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The marketing people at Best Buy are seriously overpaid if having a couple devices at each store of something that was released last month is "an EVENT". At least throw in a free bag of skittles for the lucky buyers. I was lucky enough to buy mine last week during the non-event. Keep checking BB and Target trackers. They actually pop up in small quantities pretty often. And I'm in S Carolina!

You obviously haven't worked in retail ... there is no way employees at Best Buy are overpaid, actually just the opposite. But I get your sacrasm. As for giving you freebees just because the demand is high and the inventory is lower than you want, there is no way you will even get a free anything. That doesn't help you to like Best Buy any better.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Promotion for iPad2 at BestBuy

The Sunday Ad pamphlet that Best Buy publishes for its weekly promotionals shows an iPad2 and the variety of color Smart Covers that are generally available.

Having followed all the variety of threads on lots of forums regarding the BB Promotional Event I was curious as to what the big deal was. As it turns out the wide variety of models (Total of 18) gets to be a challange. Because of BB backorder situation, BBy had to redistribute inventory according to back order throughout 1100 stores. This is not a simple issue. So some stores had to give up their inventory to met pre-paid obligations. (Good business practice). Today Best Buy re-opened their back order process in an effort to better met demand... and it is very high.

As is typical the available product count is rarely enough, so there will be disappointments. That's it folks. The Rumor Mill was way off base (as usual) Best Buy was never in Apple's bad graces. Onward and forward ... business as usual.

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy has been very good to me. And ive been very good with them. I'm proud to be a silver member. :)

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i called last night told then i allready had a iapd 2 i got from them and would like to return it because of back lighting problem ask if they would hold one for me today they said they could not so i was there when they open and they still did not have any . so now i order one from apple online and will return this one next week and will be with out one for a week or two

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i called last night told then i allready had a iapd 2 i got from them and would like to return it because of back lighting problem ask if they would hold one for me today they said they could not so i was there when they open and they still did not have any . so now i order one from apple online and will return this one next week and will be with out one for a week or two

Ipad2locator.com is showing 9 target stores with Ipad2's in stock in the Philly area.

Might want to get them a try.

Most reactions