What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Buy Holding Special iPad 2 Event This Sunday

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
best-buy1.JPG

Engadget reports today that it has seen a leaked memo indicating that Best Buy is holding some sort of special iPad 2 event this Sunday April 17. Rumours and news stories have been going around a lot recently about Best Buy stockpiling iPad 2s, and now Engadget thinks it might have found out the reason why Best Buy has been keeping its iPad 2 stock under lock and key. According to a document that Engadget has managed to obtain, Best Buy stores will all have at least three iPad 2s each in stock this Sunday, as part of the event. However, it’s still best to call your local Best Buy to check first before making a wasted trip, as according to the leaked memo, “Existing reserve order fulfilment is still the priority for any iPad 2 inventory that stores receive.â€

9to5 Mac also covers the story, and thinks that Best Buy might possibly be offering some sort of iPad 2 combo deal to customers, such as a bundle including an iPod touch as well as the iPad 2, for example, otherwise why call it an “event†when all they’re doing is selling iPad 2s (although granted, if you manage to get your hands on an iPad 2 on Sunday at Best Buy, it will certainly be an “event†for you!)?

Source: Still need an iPad 2? Head to Best Buy on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday -- Engadget, Some kind of iPad 2 sale going on this weekend at Best Buy? | 9 to 5 Mac Some kind of iPad 2 sale going on this weekend at Best Buy? | Apple Intelligence

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh steller, so they hold inventory and piss people off. Then try to act all cool with a big event... Where all the inventory is just going to go to the people have been pissed of and waiting...

I've always though Best Buy was out of touch with reality and this proves it once more.

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just returned from my local Best Buy. I was told by the guy there that unless they get in a "surprise shipment" from UPS this afternoon that this is a false rumor. The most that they will be able to do tomorrow is take reserve orders. Because of the earthquake in Japan, up until recently, they weren't even allowed to do that. From he said, Japan was an issue b/c while the iPads are made in China, they get certain parts that they need from Japan.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, but speaking for myself, I'm going to head over to my local Best Buy when they open up first thing tomorrow morning just in case.

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thats dumb. no one wants a damn ipod touch n ipad combo deal. they have truly lost since of what the consumer wants. dont try to force your ipod touch sales on me. only way itll be good is if you by ipad at reg. price and get ipod touch for free.

LesMarti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy’s ad was very misleading today. It stated you can buy or reserve and IPad 2. It also stated limited quantities. We drove in to our local Best Buy and were the first customers only to be told there were none avalible.

Wasted gas and time.

The ad should have stated “Pre Orders Only”

Not Cool!

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just back from my local Best Buy and they said that the only thing that people could do was to order an iPad if that's what they wanted to do. No one is able to get them from the store itself.

bdullea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted this as a differnet thread but came back from my local Best Buy with Ipad 2 in hand. They had twenty for sale at the store I was at most were 64 WiFi/3G models, they did have (5) 32 WiFi which is what I wanted, so I got mine, I was the second person in line at the store at 9:30am and store opened at 10:00am so. From what I can tell I got lucky on this one.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I posted this as a differnet thread but came back from my local Best Buy with Ipad 2 in hand. They had twenty for sale at the store I was at most were 64 WiFi/3G models, they did have (5) 32 WiFi which is what I wanted, so I got mine, I was the second person in line at the store at 9:30am and store opened at 10:00am so. From what I can tell I got lucky on this one.

What, if any, was the event that was advertised? Did you get a fairly good price? Dod they throw soemthing in? I'm curious why they called it "an event"?

LesMarti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was a Pre Order Event. The ad was misleading....

Attachments

• image-1725284154.png
    image-1725284154.png
    731.2 KB · Views: 281

Exocet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dorje said:
Oh steller, so they hold inventory and piss people off. Then try to act all cool with a big event... Where all the inventory is just going to go to the people have been pissed of and waiting...

I've always though Best Buy was out of touch with reality and this proves it once more.

Exactly. On March 25 (the release date for iPad 2 in Canada) I was in a Best Buy store and could have bought one that day. But I held off, because I wasn't totally sure I wanted an iPad, and also wanted to see if the iPad 2 was going to end up having any teething problems that soon out of the gate.

A week or so later, I decided to get off the fence and get an iPad 2 anyway. So I trotted off to my local Best Buy store, and found that they had run out. But that wasn't what pissed me off so badly - I was prepared to wait for an iPad 2 as long as it wasn't a long one. No, what got my blood boiling was the lame, non-committal answer I got from Best Buy sales staff when I asked when they were getting more iPad 2's in. They had no idea when they were getting more in, and furthermore, when and if some came in, they would probably get sold as soon as they arrived. And no, you couldn't reserve one in advance. The only suggestion they seemed to have for me was to call the store ahead of time and come in to buy one if any were in (and hope and pray they weren't already snapped up by the time I got there).

Bottom line, Best Buy didn't seem to care whether their customers were going to end up wasting their time and gas in their attempts to buy an iPad 2. So where Best Buy is concerned, I have basically resolved to never go near the buggers again, much less buy anything from them. What they call 'customer service' goes beyond abysmal.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exocet said:
Exactly. On March 25 (the release date for iPad 2 in Canada) I was in a Best Buy store and could have bought one that day. But I held off, because I wasn't totally sure I wanted an iPad, and also wanted to see if the iPad 2 was going to end up having any teething problems that soon out of the gate.

A week or so later, I decided to get off the fence and get an iPad 2 anyway. So I trotted off to my local Best Buy store, and found that they had run out. But that wasn't what pissed me off so badly - I was prepared to wait for an iPad 2 as long as it wasn't a long one. No, what got my blood boiling was the lame, non-committal answer I got from Best Buy sales staff when I asked when they were getting more iPad 2's in. They had no idea when they were getting more in, and furthermore, when and if some came in, they would probably get sold as soon as they arrived. And no, you couldn't reserve one in advance. The only suggestion they seemed to have for me was to call the store ahead of time and come in to buy one if any were in (and hope and pray they weren't already snapped up by the time I got there).

Bottom line, Best Buy didn't seem to care whether their customers were going to end up wasting their time and gas in their attempts to buy an iPad 2. So where Best Buy is concerned, I have basically resolved to never go near the buggers again, much less buy anything from them. What they call 'customer service' goes beyond abysmal.

Both Best Buys in my driving range, which is Lubbock or Amarillo, had a fairly good stock of iPad 2 on hand and even offered to hold one so I could make the 100 mile plus trip to pick it up. I actually ended up getting one at Walmart with a ten percent employee discount. (64 gig, wifi & AT&T, black)

maxaorstore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy stores are taking the pre orders (Reserve) Ipad 2 and most of them are not getting almost a month already. Guess What ????????????????????????????
Apple has mentioned that they are not giving them much of the shipment to Best Buy but they already took more than 1,000 pre orders per store ($100 gift card deposit per order and they have around 1150 stores in US.

Most reactions

Latest posts