What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Business App

gross001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All,
I'm a relatively new IPAD user and was wondering what the best business app(s) are? Is "Documents To Go Premium Office Suite" any good?

Also, what is the best app for viewing Excel spreadsheets--is "Numbers" the best for the money?

Thanx much for your help/advice in advance!!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

marsm

iPF Novice
Reaction score
None of the apps really match up to the "original" on a computer... I use Office2 HD - it does the job, but when it comes to formatting and other features that you're used to, it doesn't cut it... but as an on-the-go tool, it'll open the files and allow you to do basic stuff. Only a matter of time though before someone comes out with something that will get the job done a lot better.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use an app like logmein to run your work, or home computer from your iPad.

apidej

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All,
I'm a relatively new IPAD user and was wondering what the best business app(s) are? Is "Documents To Go Premium Office Suite" any good?

Also, what is the best app for viewing Excel spreadsheets--is "Numbers" the best for the money?

Thanx much for your help/advice in advance!!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I bought the app.

Word - good for reading and writing, limited formatting capability.
Excel - file with simple formula shown correctly, error when formula is complex, inputing not as good.
Power Point - viewing file is fair, some format lost, cannot create new slide with this app.
PDF - flip page change is better than swipe page change in iBook, keep zoom ratio in every pages while iBook always return to original
Page size when change new page.

Overall, good for reading and viewing, fine for writing plain text.

malairt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought NoteTaker HD for, er, notes and Keynote for viewing PowerPoint packs. Meets all my needs at the moment. Note taker also allows you to annotate PP slides in PDF format.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An OpenOffice port to iPad would be fantastic. OpenOffice is a FREE fully functioning open source equivalent to Microsoft Office which reads and writes MS Office files. It runs on most mainstream platforms but not yet on iOS. I posted an iPad port suggestion to OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite a while back, and now waiting in anticipation. Be good for other iPad fans to also post their interest in this on the OpenOffice website as the more interest is shown the more likely it will be that those very bright guys maintaining the app will do the port.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All,

I've been using the DataViz "Documents to Go" products on a variety of platforms for years. In general, they do a good job of reproducing MS Office documents. I don't think there's a better emulator available. But as others have said, there are limitations, especially in terms of reproducing complex spreadsheets and in emulating complex formatting in Word documents. Unfortunately, you're unlikely to know what those limits are until you encounter them.

If you need to work with native MS Office documents beyond the basics, the best advice, imo, is to go with an app such as Logmein ignition so that you're working with the original document and the original application.

Of course, that approach assumes you have a laptop/desktop available when you need it. And it further assumes that the settings on that system (e.g. display resolution) doesn't make accessing the source system (with the iPad's limited screen real estate) a PITA.

If this is an important feature for you, I'd suggest you try both Documents to Go (Premium if you need PowerPoint) and a remote access app (e.g. Logmein Ignition or Splashtop). If you find either approach doesn't meet your needs, don't hesitate to contact iTunes and ask for a refund. They are very liberal in terms of granting those refunds.

robdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Through a bit of research, I've found that quickoffice pro hd is the best for editing. You can link it with your free dropbox account and therefore be updating content realtime on all devices.

robdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mindjet mind mapping app and dolphin browser are both currently free in the app store.haven't used a mind mapping app but can see the potential.

Most reactions

Latest posts