What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bento Database Guide

WWgolfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently got the iPad2 and picked up the Bento database app.
I'm trying to create a query/report/? (not exactly sure what the correct terminology is), but can't figure out how to do it.
Is there a guide or manual for this app?
I haven't had any luck finding one and this should be basic stuff, but I can'tfind a way to do this.
Any help would be appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you tap on the Gear/Cog icon you'll see an options to Show Bento Home Screen. From there you can go to a brief Guided Tour page, or to a more extensive Help page.

OP
W

WWgolfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking through it.
It APPEARS the only way to create a query/subset/report is to designate individual records one at a time, like an iTunes playlist.
I was hoping to be able to do that by using one or more fields matching criteria. (i.e: SELECT ALL RECORDS THAT RETURN A POSITVE FOR A BOOLEAN FIELD AND WERE CREATED AFTER 05/09/2011).
Am I missing something or is that not possible?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm afraid that you can not create automatic (smart) collections in the iPad version.

As you've discovered, you can create collections and add individual files to them using the double square icon top right.

You can also add multiple records.

First you have to create the collection as before. Then select the Library button (top left). There will be a collection button to the right of library list. It's grey and shows the number of collections in the library. Tap on it and select the collection you want to add too.

At the bottom left you will see an icon with lines and a plus sign. Tap on it. This will give a a list of all the records in the database with a radio button to the right of each item. Every record you select will be added to the current category. Notice that you have search bar at the top. You can narrow the number of records to scroll through by using the search. The sort icon at the top left will let you change what is shown in the list and it's sort order.

If you have a Mac, you can get the OS X version of Bento. In it you can create smart collections. These collections will sync with the iPad version and continue to add new records based on the criteria set up on the Mac.

This, among many other features, is why I normally don't recommend Bento on the iPad unless you also have a Mac and will get the full version to sync with. It's missing too many features as a stand alone.

OP
W

WWgolfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
other options

Is there a different database for the iPad 2 that will allow me more flexibility?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is HanDBase. I'm not too thrilled with the user ratings, but that could be scewed by people's expectations. The screen shots show a pie chart, so there are at least a few features that Bento does not have. It is the only other database app I've seen that has tempted me. Check it out and see what you think.

Most reactions

Latest posts