What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benchmark Tests Show New iPad’s A5x Chip Beating Tegra 3

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

When Apple first announced its latest iPad, Apple’s worldwide marketing VP Phil Schiller raised eyebrows with his claim that the new iPad’s A5x chip had four times the performance of Tegra 3. As 9to5 Mac reports today, the Tegra 3’s developer, Nvidia, naturally responded quickly to contest Apple’s assertion, specifically the slide that was used at the presentation to illustrate Apple’s claim. However, 9to5 Mac notes, Apple’s claims have now been backed up by some benchmark tests carried out by Laptop Mag. To carry out the benchmark tests, Laptop Mag put an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime, powered by the Tegra 3, up against the new iPad, using GLBenchmark 2.1, Geekbench, and browser benchmarks with Sunspider and Peacekeeper. As you can see from the video of the test at the top of this post, the new iPad came out ahead in most of the tests, including GLBenchmarks 2.1, with the new iPad processing 6718 frames at 60 fps in the Egypt Standard 3D animation test, and the Transformer processing 5,939 frames at 53 fps. Geekbench was the one test where the Tegra 3 beat the new iPad, with the test measuring “raw processing power rather than graphics†according to Laptop Mag.

Source: New iPad’s A5x chip beats out Tegra 3 in most benchmark tests | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Last edited by a moderator:

swaggapad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A5x has quad GPU, Tegra does not. Tegra has quad CPU, A5x does not. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure which one is going to win benchmarks in GPU based test and CPU based test.

I'm no genius but I think if Tegra pushed the resolution that A5x is pushing you will see the 4x difference in performance Apple claims but in its current resolutions the Prime and other android tabs have the performance will be more like 2-3x faster.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Tegra 3 is a very powerful processor. The biggest problem with it is that it was put into a Tablet that never should have been released when it was. The Asus Transformer Prime should and will go down as the biggest flop of a product that had the capability to be great. Everything went wrong with that tablet. Asus should be very ashamed of themselves for this one (by the way I am typing this on my Asus Eee PC, Asus Fan here). The TF201 could not even make it more than a month with out Asus pulling the plug on it and having to release an entirely new tablet the TF700. I was so ready to buy the TF201 but luckly for me the one thing they did right was produce next to none of these things so I could never buy one. I did have the original Transformer and enjoyed it.

Most reactions