What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner !

Colwarne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had an Ipad for a few days. Currently rather disappointed as:

- thought I would be able to play my movies, especially as I have them on a Mac, but find need special software to convert them, which I have so far failed to make work

- many YouTube videos just don't play, or stop part way through, as indeed do TV programmes (eg recent panorama programme, stopped after 10 minutes)

- many email attachments don't open - just get a completely blank screen

So off to the store this afternoon for a lesson, to see if it's my incompetence....

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had an Ipad for a few days. Currently rather disappointed as:

- thought I would be able to play my movies, especially as I have them on a Mac, but find need special software to convert them, which I have so far failed to make work

- many YouTube videos just don't play, or stop part way through, as indeed do TV programmes (eg recent panorama programme, stopped after 10 minutes)

- many email attachments don't open - just get a completely blank screen

So off to the store this afternoon for a lesson, to see if it's my incompetence....
Sounds like part of the problem doesn't have anything to do with you. Television shows almost always need Flash and the iPad doesn't have it and never will. Unless someone comes up with a browser with Flash built into it.

OP
C

Colwarne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had my lesson....

Inevitably, the faults I had at home did not replicate in the Apple shop! Could be my internet connection, but I never have any problems with the Mac.

Email attachments that are zipped apparently can't be opened. Given that the ipad is billed as the greatest email experience, I find that a disappointment.

I was recommended Handbrake for getting movies over to the ipad. I have spent hours on this now, without success. I can successfully reformat to the m4v format and get it into itunes on my Mac, but it will still not move across to the ipad. Seems lots of people have this problem, whilst others don't (according to the many internet discussions on this issue). Any suggestions welcomed?

Currently still rather disappointed with the ipad, given it's hype.....

Bbatelli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick fix for movies

First, download handbreak as suggested and convert your movie. The download VLC player from the app store. (it is free). Then when you sync, click on the iPad in the left bar and go to apps and scroll down to file sharing. Click on VLC player and in the VLC documents you want to share, click add.

Simple.

Most reactions

Latest posts