What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC iPlayer, won't play videos

tom1252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I go on the BBC iPlayer website and try and play a programme I can't find the play button. Any ideas?

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
Are you located in the UK? If not, that may be the reason. BBC checks your IP number and doesn't allow any video streaming go outside the UK. Maybe this is the way they do that now.

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Yately is in the UK. I suspect you need Flash to use the iPlayer. Not sure if they've made it iPad friendly yet.

I know there was a bit of a discussion within the Beeb a year or so ago about why they should be spending license payer's money to format content specifically for a single manufacturer's device (iPhone) when the penetration of that device was so small in the UK. That's why it's taken the Beeb so long to release a news app for the iDevices...they're funded by license revenue rather than advertising, and the government's had them under the microscope recently, so they need to be a bit more careful about jumping on bandwagons.

OP
T

tom1252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah BBC have created a beta version to test on iPads

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had this problem occasionally and it's usually at the beebs end. Sometimes it's a plain broken link and other times the item's replay period has expired but the listing remains. Happens a lot with Shaun the Sheep to much wailing from the young'uns.......
Not that keen on the mobile version of iplayer.
Sadly the iPad is directed to it when it's screen is capable of using the full version :(

Most reactions

Latest posts